No announcement yet.

Adding ABS to SM coupe Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have some data for comparison after the Waking Glen event in April. Should be pretty telling.

clotuning , instead of writing out a response, read this: https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...ves_8-2018.pdf

Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

okay i get it now. thank you for that pdf.

I'm thinking of how would one install the abs unit but have a back up plan in place.

I haven't seen any adjustable proportion valve that's dual inlet/outlet to leave it full open and if the unit fails you can adjust the bias. Having 2 separate proportion valves (one for each rear caliper) I would think is a bad idea since its unlikely to have them both reduce the same amount of bias

I would think the easiest initial way is to choose the right sized caliper piston area and right sized diameter rotors? ( since now there are multiple choices due to your new radial mount for calipers) And then choose the right friction surface pads when testing at the track if you have to much/little bias in the rear?

Or

One could use the ap1 abs unit and ap1 proportion valve and not have to worry if the unit or any component fails.

Comment

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylind...emno=260-11179

Looks like this would work for dual in/out no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was looking at that one also but it's one set of ports for front lines and the other set for rear lines

Comment

may have found a easy solution to the rear sensor. idk what the ID of the abs hole on the rear covers are, but I believe this is an active sensor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-GS10...UdJj:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...aluminum-body/

https://www.autosportlabs.com/wp-con...​​

Cherry_GS100701_gear_speed_sensor.jpg

Comment

Are the Mk60 abs sensors Hall effect? Most cars Iíve seen use VR sensors for their lower cost.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

#KeepThisForumAlive.....

I believe they are VR.

Confirmed the physical connector is identical to MK60 (no surprise). Will be seeing if we can communicate with the module this weekend. djsilver , you make any progress?

Did some machining on a spare output shaft I had. Air gap will be perfect with a rear E46 M3 sensor, just need to solve the threaded hole alignment. Z33 sensor will need to be shimmed out, but hole lines up. Pick your poison.

Here's what the prop valve looks like in the Z32 BMC's that don't use the type that you can shim to preload the spring. It's a single spool unit. Silver side is away from the firewall. The bizarro thing is that when I removed this and tested, I had no change in rear clamping force w.r.t the front clamping.

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

No progress on my end. Just collecting parts in a box while I work on other stuff for now.
                  Don Johnson (really!)
                  Just so you know.

Comment

How did you remove the spool prop valve?
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                      How did you remove the spool prop valve?
                      Just had someone press the brake pedal with the port open while I had a container to catch it. Shot right out.
                      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Are you planning on using the z32 BMC?

I had considered switching to a B13 booster to try making my pedal a little firmer. I want to do a couple events yet to remember how it was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have liked to use the Z32, but seeing that removing that prop valve didn't do anything, I won't be. And I highly recommend the B13 booster. It makes a very positive difference.

I'm planning on using the Z33 BMC now since there's no internal proportioning and only two outputs. As I mentioned previously, the way these ABS modulators split the inputs diagonally, anything that is biasing/balancing pre-modulator will do so on a diagonal (FR/RL or FL/RR) vs just across the rear axle. Definitely not ideal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on my progress; my contact at Race Harness Technologies confirmed that diagnostic information can't be communicated over the K-line on the OBD2 port on the MK60e1 AP2 S2000 unit like he can on the MK60 BMW unit. That means diags is over CAN.

Now, that doesn't confirm that the unit can't be used as stand alone. It just means if you are to retrofit an AP2 unit, you won't be able to tell if there's anything wrong or errors being thrown the same way you can on the MK60. You also run the modulator through a bleed routine through the K-line.

HOWEVER, he still has some steps to go through to for him to be able to access the diags over CAN so there's still a possibility that the MK60e1 can be used in a similar fashion, and not just blindly.

With all that said, I had to abort the AP2 mission because of time and his inability to promise that he can get something working by my Watkins Glen race (4/13). I ended up just ordering the BMW MK60 stuff for now as it's all a known quantity. Out of the sake of trailblazing, I'm having him keep the AP2 unit so he can continue progress as he's just as interested in getting it to work as we are.
                          Last edited by gills; 03-11-2019, 07:18 AM.
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

How do people normally run/read diagnistic info with the bmw mk60?

With the s2000 one I would assume u would wire up a separate obd2 plug out of it and then connect it to your scanner that has the ability to read abs module and gp from there.

Comment

Originally posted by clotuning View Post
                              How do people normally run/read diagnistic info with the bmw mk60?

With the s2000 one I would assume u would wire up a separate obd2 plug out of it and then connect it to your scanner that has the ability to read abs module and gp from there.

It's read through the K-line on the OBD2 port. So like you said, when you make a harness to retrofit the MK60 system you wire in a separate OBD2 plug that you use solely for diagnosing, running bleed routines, and in some instances program it. Apparently the S2000 doesn't work the same way as per Race Harness Technologies, but he's not finished doing his thing. He has a few more procedures to try before writing it off. I just had to bail because I want ABS for my first race.

Again, just because diag info isn't accessible doesn't mean the S2000/MK60e1 can't be run standalone. You'll just be running it blindly if anything were ever to fault at this stage.
                              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Oh yea did you end up drilling a hole for front sensor? Or bought different knuckles?

Comment

Working...
                                X