Adding ABS to SM coupe Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Def View Post
    The MK60 is pricey IMO. Not sure why it's so popular over other solutions, other than I guess it's one of the better documented swaps.
    I'm not sure of the full details, but supposedly there a race map you can flash into them. NASA just made the E46 MK60 system the only other allowed system besides OEM this year.
    98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I think I'm gonna grab an S2000 ABS module. The harness connector from the Accord looks the same as on the S2k module so I'll grab one from a junkyard.

Very interesting reading about the MK60 ABS, I own a 2002 E46 M3 but I'm certainly not about to rip out the ABS system lol.

Gonna take my hubs and tone rings to machine shop tomorrow and head to the junkyard looking for more sensors that might work with my front spindles.

Comment

Have a good update since last posting in here.

I picked up an S2k abs module off ebay for $50 shipped and clipped a harness connector from the junkyard that was only different by one unimportant wire. After many hours of soldering, looming and running wires I had a harness that tied into the car nicely.

I made all of my brake lines from NiCopp using AN bulkhead and union fittings and standard bubble flares where the lines terminated. One thing that was a problem last year for me due to the placement of my EWG and dump tube was proximity to the BMC and lines causing a lot of heat and making the brakes eventually fade during long autocross runs at the local racetrack. The solution I found was to use a 1" BMC from a pathfinder where one port points straight up, in front of the reservoir, and the other points out driver side. I believe I got it from a 2001 pathfinder that had factory abs and traction control. The fsm for the pathfinder shows it having a load sensing external prop valve in the rear, so I was hopeful that each port had even output pressure, which I found true using pressure sensors from ebay that I remembered Def suggesting.

Brake pressure, using arduino uno to measure output.

Wire harness construciton in progress

To use the banjo bolts I had to drill the bottom of the ports to allow the bolt to fully seat. I used a tap to cut away the remaining edges and was good enough to not destroy the factory threads. win win

I got to test drive the car on the street once before my first event in hopes that all of the work I had done on this abs adoption worked. The first pedal mash locked up all four, the rear first, and my hopes were down. I took the car to visit a friend and talk and remembered I had forgotten to plug my front sensors back in before driving it. So on the next pedal stab the ABS actually worked relieving all of my doubts.

Fast forward to the first autox event and the abs worked beautifully. The ABS interaction was hardly noticeable in the pedal but I could tell when it was working. Can't wait for the next event.

Comment

Sweet that it's all working! I think you'll like the S2000 ABS - it's pretty good as far as factory ABS stuff goes.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

This is awesome. Congrats on getting it working.

What did you end up doing for sensors and tone rings?

Comment

I had the tone rings from my eBay purchase and my conversion hubs machined to fit together. They're not perfectly concentric but the system is working.

The front abs sensors are from the same eBay buy. I picked up sensors from a 300z last year that I used to make a hybrid since the email ones were cut. I cut off the sensor and soldered it to the s chassis sensors.

I had doubts in it working due to the concentricity and solder connections, but the fact it works dispels those. Lol

One thing I'm noticing though is that the abs is actuating in low speed cornering when the rear wheels slip due to the diff. I'll have to investigate that one of these days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

So you were able to wire the Nissan sensors to the S2000 unit? I have all the sensors I need for the front and rear. I had planned on do the same thing you originally planned with the Z32 abs system. If I can get an S2000 setup and use the sensors I have, I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
                  So you were able to wire the Nissan sensors to the S2000 unit? I have all the sensors I need for the front and rear. I had planned on do the same thing you originally planned with the Z32 abs system. If I can get an S2000 setup and use the sensors I have, I'm in.
                  Yup, I used Z32 Rear ABS sensors from a junkyard car and front S14 sensors that were cut. I cut and spliced front Z32 sensor harnesses to the front S14 sensors and they still worked. I was worried the splicing would interfere with the signal but everything seems to be working together just fine.

For the S2k ABS module, you'll want one from an AP1. The AP2 added TSC and brake force distribution and also uses different size brake line between the BMC feed and to the calipers. Also, I could not find an FSM for the AP2 to even look at a harness pinout for the module.

It was also helpful stealing all of the wiring I could from the Z32 because it made it much easier to create the custom harness.

Comment

Cool. Iím going to start looking for the AP1 abs stuff now. I havenít been able to rob a Z32 yet so I will likely just have to make my own harness going to the module. I have S14/J30 front sensors and the tears are from a Z32/Q45. Thanks for documenting this.

Comment

Any updates on how this performed for you?
                      Core4 Motorsports
                      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                        Any updates on how this performed for you?
                        So I'm sure it saved me numerous times from flat spotting my tires but I'm afraid I trusted the system more than I should have. I ended up getting on the brakes really hard at most events and feeling what was ABS feedback but thinking it was something else wrong with my brake system. I need to remember when driving to keep braking on the limit as if i don't have ABS to save me to get the best stopping performance. duh

So it has performed as needed but it is not without odd issues.
                        I wired it into the brake pedal switch such that it wouldn't activate while off the brakes, but it occasionally tweeks out on the rear calipers while driving around slow corners.

Comment

Originally posted by Scores240 View Post

So I'm sure it saved me numerous times from flat spotting my tires but I'm afraid I trusted the system more than I should have. I ended up getting on the brakes really hard at most events and feeling what was ABS feedback but thinking it was something else wrong with my brake system. I need to remember when driving to keep braking on the limit as if i don't have ABS to save me to get the best stopping performance. duh

So it has performed as needed but it is not without odd issues.
                          I wired it into the brake pedal switch such that it wouldn't activate while off the brakes, but it occasionally tweeks out on the rear calipers while driving around slow corners.

Should've responded sooner. Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do you mean by tweak out? Do you have a clutch type diff?

And what solution did you use for tone rings in the rear?

Lastly, how much $$ would you say you're in with the S2000 setup?
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I have a cusco RS set to 1 way, and around slow corners going maybe 15mph ish I notice the ABS making noises even though I'm not on the brake pedal. I assumed ABS would only interfere when the brakes are applied.

The rear Tone rings and sensors are from a 300zx. I stole the Diff Stubs, sensors and Diff cover from a junkyard car for maybe $30 all together.
                            The front sensors I had a hard time finding and ended up buying ABS front knuckles with hubs and sensors on ebay for $150 but ended up getting the GK Tech Grip Knuckles before I found the stuff on Ebay.
                            I also got the S2k ABS module on Ebay for $50 shipped.

So maybe $250 including all of the wiring and connectors I used to make the harnesses.

Edit: Actually a little over $300. Forgot to include the NiCop brake line and fittings I needed for the new lines.

I'd sell the OEM ABS knuckles if anyone is seriously interested.

Comment

Right on. That'll be about $1000 cheaper than if I were to go with the BMW/MK60 system.

So does the AP1 S2000 system use EBD or not? I'm finding conflicting info online. Do you have an external prop valve in your system?

Does the system require front and rear brake pressure sensors?
                              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Oh, so I assume the 300zx diff stubs require the use of the 300zx axles or J30 5 bolt axles?

I have an extra set of front ABS hubs (which are cheaper than non-ABS new) that I pulled the tone rings off of. The ID of the front tone rings happens to be slightly smaller than the the OD of the OEM 3x2 stub shafts so I'd only have to remove a little bit off the OD of the stub to press-fit the tone rings on. Thinking of going this route out of simplicity. Just not sure if it'll work.
                                Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X