Adding ABS to SM coupe Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding ABS to SM coupe Build

Hey Guys, long time since I've made a thread and this has been a long time coming as my build has gotten a little more serious over the last 2 years. I'll start another thread on my full build one of these days, but the point of this one is on ABS parts.

So far I've acquired from scavenging the junkyard, the entire system from a 300zx including the rear differential cover.

I'm swapping to the S14 rear subframe at the same time I'm adding ABS to the car so that I can utilize the 300zx ABS diff cover and have a 4 channel setup and also benefit from the better suspension geometry.

My problem since getting all of that equipment was locating the ABS Tone ring and Wheel speed sensors for the front of an S13. I solved the ABS spindle problem by getting the GKtech Grip spindles which have an ABS provision and left me looking for Rings and Sensors.

Recently I purchased from a JDM importer in Canada a pair of ABS spindles with Sensors and Hubs w/ tone rings that was listed for the S13. Fast forward to today when they arrive and I tear into them discovering that the hubs don't fit my spindles, the tone rings don't fit my 5-lug hubs and the sensors are plastic bodied.

I think that what I bought was actually from an S14 and that to use any of it, I need to dive into more custom work that I was hoping to avoid. You can notice in the picture of the spindle with sensor installed that the inner face is more vertical than it should be. I held the ring up to it over the spindle, trying to keep it centered and saw their interface is not similar to how it was before I disassembled the OE spindles.

To make it all work I'd need to elongate the ABS hole in the spindle, which I'm not afraid to do, and machine either the Tone ring or the Hub or both until they fit. I roughly measured each and found a 1/4" difference between the diameters.

If any of you guys out there have extra S13 ABS pieces, would you be willing to part ways with them or trade for my S14 parts ?

Thoughts and questions ?

First of all, I like your vice. That thing has character!

Do the GKTech knuckles has S13 or S14 spindles? If they're S14 spindles you can buy OEM S14 ABS Hubs from CourtesyParts.com or Nissanparts.cc for about $115 each.
    If they have S13 spindles I'm not away any of the S13's came with 5-lug hubs from the factory.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
      First of all, I like your vice. That thing has character!

Do the GKTech knuckles has S13 or S14 spindles? If they're S14 spindles you can buy OEM S14 ABS Hubs from CourtesyParts.com or Nissanparts.cc for about $115 each.
      If they have S13 spindles I'm not away any of the S13's came with 5-lug hubs from the factory.
      I think the Vice has been around longer than me, as I remember my father using it when I was little and eventually inherited it. Love love love that thing.

So GKtech has S13 and 14 spindles but mine is the S13 option. I guess I could technically return it for an S14 but then I'd have to change the Ball joints and whatever it is with the shock mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scores240 View Post
        I think the Vice has been around longer than me, as I remember my father using it when I was little and eventually inherited it. Love love love that thing.

So GKtech has S13 and 14 spindles but mine is the S13 option. I guess I could technically return it for an S14 but then I'd have to change the Ball joints and whatever it is with the shock mounts.
        I don't remember where I got them but I bought tone rings from one of the two places I mentioned and pressed them onto a pair of S14 non-ABS hubs I had. If you've got aftermarket S13 5-lug hubs you may be able to get the housing machined to fit the tone rings. Otherwise you may be able to get S13 ABS hubs and get them re-drilled to 5-lug.
        Don Johnson (really!)
        Just so you know.

Comment

I think I threw away S13 ABS sensors and wiring front and rear a little while ago otherwise I’d ship it to you.

Why not something a bit more modern like an S2000 system?
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            I think I threw away S13 ABS sensors and wiring front and rear a little while ago otherwise I’d ship it to you.

Why not something a bit more modern like an S2000 system?
            Uncertainty in how well the old sensors would work with a newer system and increased wiring complexity.

Though, knowing how heavy the 300zx abs module is has had me looking at a lot of other systems while at the junkyard. I could get one out of a 350z or g35 if the wheel speed sensors can be mix matched.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think most ABS sensors are VR type, which should just swap between units no problem.

S2000 ABS needs power and ground plus wire in sensors. Lots of people have swapped them between cars and chassis, so it should be well documented.

Comment

What about a 350z abs pump module? Could it work without CAN communication.

Comment

Don't think so. Most stuff made after 2000 started getting CAN functionality, and it will freak if it doesn't see this.

S2000 stuff is standalone (and cheap actually).

Why are you so stuck on putting a Nissan ABS pump in your car?

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Don't think so. Most stuff made after 2000 started getting CAN functionality, and it will freak if it doesn't see this.

S2000 stuff is standalone (and cheap actually).

Why are you so stuck on putting a Nissan ABS pump in your car?
                    Just looking for stuff I can easily get from the junkyard. There's 4 within an hour of me that have pretty good inventories.

I did find a bunch of reasonably priced s2000 pumps on eBay, but they were all missing the harness connector. I think you've convinced me enough, once I find a flying lead I'll buy the s2000 setup.

Comment

Any of the 90's Nissan stuff is garbage, as none of the later stuff is performance oriented. The 2000's stuff is all CAN as far as I know.

The S2000 pump is all one system (pump and computer), and can run standalone, and has pretty good calibration. Basically everything you'd want in an ABS system to retrofit.

Comment

I would steer clear of anything newer Nissan. The racers have tons of problems with them. Too intrusive and actually become dangerous on track. In fact a 370Z in my region recently fitted a Teves MK60 from a BMW. Apparently they can be made to work on anything.
                        98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Here's some info about the Teves MK60 system;
                          https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...c-retrofit-kit
                          Don Johnson (really!)
                          Just so you know.

Comment

Aren't most, if not all 90's ABS systems garbage?

There are a few teams in AER that have retrofitted the BMW 4-channel MK60 (E46 M3) system in older chassis. I'd look into this if you're going through the effort and really want a performance oriented system.
                            Core4 Motorsports
                            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

The MK60 is pricey IMO. Not sure why it's so popular over other solutions, other than I guess it's one of the better documented swaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X