Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel choice question (17 vs 18)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wheel choice question (17 vs 18)

    Hello everyone - I have this annoying 'problem' that I can't decide what to do about. My wife wants to run the V8 S13 coupe at Solo Nats this year. Last year she drove an FP 240Z on sticker Hoosiers and decided she really liked it.

    I've got the suspension mostly sorted, but I'm still running a set of stock C5 Corvette wheels on some 5x4.5 to 5x4.75 adapters. I want to get some wider, lighter wheels up front and ditch the spacers. The 17x8.5s on the front currently are filling up the well, so I'll need to get some wider fenders. Luckily due to the drift crowd, those are readily available. The rear can fit a 10.5 currently with more room on the shock side, so no problem there. I'd like to have a non-staggered setup if possible so I can spread the wear around the car, but that's a low priority.

    I don't want to buy Hoosiers for locals, so I would like to run an Extreme Performance Summer tire like a RE71R or Rival S. Right now, the car has my 2017 RE71Rs takeoffs from the Corvette. I want to run something wider, but the EPS tires only go to a 255 in 17s. Going to an 18 is an option I guess, but I think 17s look better on the car and I have to raise the car up alot to keep the 18s from rubbing.

    Option A: Buy 5x114.3 17x10 RPFIs, run Hoosiers only

    Option B: Buy 5x114.3 18x10 RPF1s, run whatever tires, car will be high

    Option C: Run my current Corvette wheels with Hoosiers, deal with it later.

    I have about a million Corvette wheels and I'd rather not also have a bunch of 5x114.3 wheels, which is why I can't figure out what to do.
    Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '17 Z125

  • #2
    You can find 275/40R17 in a lot of tires - it's a tall tire tho'. Honestly, your tire budget is going to go way up on an 18" wheel, and if I were going that route, I'd probably try to do more like an 18x10.5 or 18x11 and run as small a sidewall as possible.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


    DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

    Comment


    • #3
      I ran 17x9's with 275/35/17 HoHo's on my S13 coupe, but I cut the front and rear fenders to make room. 18's would be a real challenge on an S13. As long as you're comfy with a Sawzall, you could run 295/35/17 or 315/35/17 as well.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can you not run 255/17 EPS's on the 17x10's then just throw on some hoosiers for Nats?

        Def is spot on with the 18" tire budget. I contemplated going to 18x11 last season then ran far away after looking at the change in budget.
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

        Comment


        • #5
          Keep with 17s if you can. unfortunately, everything wide enough for what you want to do will also be tall. gearing will be an issue, BUT for autoX that might be to your advantage depending on gearing.

          something to keep in mind is no matter how you store them, a used Hoosier will die quickly. after a year in bags, even stored inside my house, the S80 slicks I use on the RX7 are trash.. DOT Rs do last a little longer, but not a lot. As long as they're new and bagged, they will stay 'fresh' for 2-3 years, but the second you put a heat cycle on them, the clock is ticking... So if you're considering running Hoosiers at any time, just get a set and run them at every event otherwise they'll waste away in storage waiting for the good races.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by djsilver View Post
            I ran 17x9's with 275/35/17 HoHo's on my S13 coupe, but I cut the front and rear fenders to make room. 18's would be a real challenge on an S13. As long as you're comfy with a Sawzall, you could run 295/35/17 or 315/35/17 as well.
            Yea, what about a crazy Hoo-Hoo size like this, then a cheap set of 17s with street tires or NT01s for beating around local events?

            Konig has some pretty cheap flow formed wheels (what an Enkei RPF1 etc. is).
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


            DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
              Keep with 17s if you can. unfortunately, everything wide enough for what you want to do will also be tall. gearing will be an issue, BUT for autoX that might be to your advantage depending on gearing.

              something to keep in mind is no matter how you store them, a used Hoosier will die quickly. after a year in bags, even stored inside my house, the S80 slicks I use on the RX7 are trash.. DOT Rs do last a little longer, but not a lot. As long as they're new and bagged, they will stay 'fresh' for 2-3 years, but the second you put a heat cycle on them, the clock is ticking... So if you're considering running Hoosiers at any time, just get a set and run them at every event otherwise they'll waste away in storage waiting for the good races.
              This is why I hate Hoosiers I ran some 20 run A6s on concrete on my ESP Firebird at a National tour, and the tires were basically done after that. I don't think my wife understands how much $$$$$ will be going down the toilet.

              Gearing in my car is weird - I'm using an F-Body T56 (2.66:1 first gear, 1.78:1 second) but I have 4.08s so I'm sort of in between 2nd and 3rd on a fast AutoX. Currently running a 18x9.5 with a 275/40/18 out back.

              a 255 on a 17x10 would look waaaaaaaay too stanced out for me I think.

              I wonder if 16" HoHos are any cheaper? (I'd be going with A7s) I am running Z32 TT brakes, and they came with 16s.
              Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '17 Z125

              Comment


              • #8
                255 on a 10" is perfect so I'm not sure where you get that from. Modern tires like a hint of stretch for better sidewall support, better transient response, and more efficient tire contact patch.

                I run 255/40's RT615K on 17x10's.:



                Last edited by gills; 01-19-2018, 07:33 PM. Reason: added pictures
                Core4 Motorsports
                CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                Comment


                • #9
                  Aye - modern street tires *really* push the limits of section width in an effort to post up slightly better grip numbers for a given size. A modern 255 is closer to a 265-275 of say 20+ years ago.

                  255/40-17 on a 9" wheel has a slight bulge to it, on a 9.5 to 10" wheel they start getting square to just the slightest hint of a mild stretch.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                  DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Aye - modern street tires *really* push the limits of section width in an effort to post up slightly better grip numbers for a given size. A modern 255 is closer to a 265-275 of say 20+ years ago.

                    255/40-17 on a 9" wheel has a slight bulge to it, on a 9.5 to 10" wheel they start getting square to just the slightest hint of a mild stretch.
                    Add to that, it has been shown that a slightly stretched tire will out perform a wider bulged tire on the same wheel. GRM has done a few comparison tests and Miata folk are showing the same results, IIRC.

                    Based on my own results, we posted the fastest lap time (for 180+ UTQG tires) yet on the older, harder Falken RT615K compound on a 17x10 vs the newer, softer RT615K+ on a 17x9 at my home track. Did have different dampers on, but they are far from dialed in yet and currently don't feel any different than the old ones we had when on the 17x9's. No other changes.
                    Last edited by gills; 01-20-2018, 02:00 PM.
                    Core4 Motorsports
                    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My two cents yeah no way to 18inch !! just too tall for a s chassis. 16inch or 17inch. option A is my vote.
                      www.nonamemotorsports.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My understanding, at least with Hoosiers is that the wider the wheel, the better. A local guy here (I consider him a bit of a mentor, has the most national titles in Nasa at I think 18 now) ran a 245 a7 on 11” wide 17’s this season. He’s the reason (along with the Hoosier 245) Nasa switched to the Nasa section width instead of the number stamped on the sidewall for classing. If your sanctioning body doesn’t care, I say follow tried and true to get results. If it helps you make a decision, I have 6 17x10+18 I’d be willing to sell as they’re 6 months away from no longer fitting in my class on my setup...

                        *edit - Also, don’t do 18.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ericb382 View Post
                          My understanding, at least with Hoosiers is that the wider the wheel, the better. A local guy here (I consider him a bit of a mentor, has the most national titles in Nasa at I think 18 now) ran a 245 a7 on 11” wide 17’s this season. He’s the reason (along with the Hoosier 245) Nasa switched to the Nasa section width instead of the number stamped on the sidewall for classing. If your sanctioning body doesn’t care, I say follow tried and true to get results. If it helps you make a decision, I have 6 17x10+18 I’d be willing to sell as they’re 6 months away from no longer fitting in my class on my setup...

                          *edit - Also, don’t do 18.
                          Oooh - details??

                          I'm on 18s currently BTW

                          S13pitlane by Mat B, on Flickr
                          Last edited by FlatBlack; 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM.
                          Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '17 Z125

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X