Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

s14 wheel/ tire fitment help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • s14 wheel/ tire fitment help

    hey guys

    I have been looking around the site and a few others but i'm not finding the answer i need . i'm really wanting to run a 17x9.5 18 wheel setup on my s14 with 255/40/17 at all corners . my problem is all the cars i find with this setup seem to have a koni shock setup or they are the drift guys with a smaller tire . does anyone have pictures of a s14 on coilovers and whats the inner wheel/tire clearance is like ? I do not want a crazy roll/pull on the front and rear fenders to the point it destroys the sheet metal .


    car will be street driven to and from autocross / road course events .

    front suspension / brake setup

    stance coils
    spl tension rods
    spl outer/inner tie rods with bump steer correction
    stock lower control arms with bracing and poly bushings

    300zx 30mm calipers with 350z track rotors


    rear

    spl ruca
    spl traction rods
    spl rear toe rods
    solid alum bushings in sub frame
    stance coils

    300z caliper /rotor

    right now i have 17x8 +30 cobra r wheels with 235/45/17 tires

  • #2
    I don't have a picture of it the clearance with a tire on, but you get the idea of what you'll be working with. This is with MCS coilover strut body, which has standard length strut mounting tabs. Front is tight, rear has gobs of room on the inside to get away with a much higher offset.

    17x10 +18 with 12mm spacer on front, 2.5" ID springs. I moved to 2.25" ID springs for more clearance. I'd say there's about 4-6mm of clearance now with tire (255/40 RT615k) and aligned how I want it:


    Sitting (sorry for the black and white effect):




    With that said, you'll be able to get away with no pull in rear with higher offset wheel. But, then you'll need to run different offset wheels front to rear and that's a no go for me. I need to be able to rotate all 4 corners.

    With +18 in back, you'll absolutely need to roll and pull as you can see. Same goes for the front. Car is running -4* front camber and -1.7* in rear in those pictures.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

    Comment


    • #3
      I prefer to run the higher offset RPF1s (+38) and a spacer in front.

      But I'm also just enough of a purist that pulling s-chassis fenders makes me sad as its irreversible lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
        I prefer to run the higher offset RPF1s (+38) and a spacer in front.

        But I'm also just enough of a purist that pulling s-chassis fenders makes me sad as its irreversible lol.
        My car is far from pure lol. What size spacer in the front do you run? But, you also have "Richards Housings" style Koni setup with the extended strut mount tabs? For me to run a +38 would take a ridiculous spacer in front.
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

        Comment


        • #5
          I run a 15mm or 20mm spacer with 9.5 +38.

          The ARP studs have plenty of length to use that sort of spacer.

          Comment


          • #6
            You have extended strut mounts relative to OE?

            Even with a 20mm spacer on +38 it still wouldn't clear the coilover with the strut mount length the MCS's have on mine.
            Core4 Motorsports
            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

            Comment


            • #7
              Nope, just the normal koni housings, no extra modification.

              With 15mm spacer it's *very* close. Needs like 16-17mm.

              And this is a 9.5 +38, not a full 10.

              My 'street' rpf1s are 9+22 in front with a 255 because it fits better. But this is also s13.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slos14 View Post
                hey guys

                I have been looking around the site and a few others but i'm not finding the answer i need . i'm really wanting to run a 17x9.5 18 wheel setup on my s14 with 255/40/17 at all corners . my problem is all the cars i find with this setup seem to have a koni shock setup or they are the drift guys with a smaller tire . does anyone have pictures of a s14 on coilovers and whats the inner wheel/tire clearance is like ? I do not want a crazy roll/pull on the front and rear fenders to the point it destroys the sheet metal .


                car will be street driven to and from autocross / road course events .

                front suspension / brake setup

                stance coils
                spl tension rods
                spl outer/inner tie rods with bump steer correction
                stock lower control arms with bracing and poly bushings

                300zx 30mm calipers with 350z track rotors


                rear

                spl ruca
                spl traction rods
                spl rear toe rods
                solid alum bushings in sub frame
                stance coils

                300z caliper /rotor

                right now i have 17x8 +30 cobra r wheels with 235/45/17 tires
                Hope this helps. 17X10+20 with 275 tire. I don't have pics but I did roll and slight pull on the fenders to stop it from rubbing later. Raised it up because of the tire rub. Rear is SPL stuff
                20140502_192629_zps9205132d by Andwele Hall, on Flickr
                20131229_150120_zps5b649163 by Andwele Hall, on Flickr
                P1030406_zpsf59fef14 by Andwele Hall, on Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                  Nope, just the normal koni housings, no extra modification.

                  With 15mm spacer it's *very* close. Needs like 16-17mm.

                  And this is a 9.5 +38, not a full 10.

                  My 'street' rpf1s are 9+22 in front with a 255 because it fits better. But this is also s13.
                  Right, so a 10" would require another 6mm of spacer. That's a thick one! (TWSS)....
                  Core4 Motorsports
                  CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                  S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    maybe i should just go 17x9+22 with a 255/40/17 wheel setup .
                    or do a 17x9+22 245/40/17 front and a 17x10+18 275/40/17 rear

                    i really hate to make the wrong decision and end up hating my wheel setup .
                    i also have arp extended wheel studs front and rear .
                    my alignment setup is this

                    FL FR
                    camber -3.1 3.1
                    caster 7.1 7.1
                    toe 0.12 0.12



                    RL RR

                    camber -2.5 -2.5
                    toe 0.02 0.00

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      does anyone know if brian / orion had coilovers on his car or struts with koni shocks ?
                      i know he had a 17x9.5 +18 setup all around . i sent him a message a few months back but i know he sold the car and may not check in now .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        His sale ad said 8611s at all four corners so I presume veilside housings or something similar.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          9.5 is certainly a tighter fit than 9.0. Honestly, (for most street tires), 255 is pretty square on a 17x9 and I'd expect it would be a slight stretch on a 9.5.

                          Though I have koni/bilstein setup with 17x9 255/40 (all around), I had rolled the lip up in the rear, but no pull. IMO, the front is the more difficult fit, needing some spacers and decent camber (but not over the top), but I did not touch the front fenders (s14 at least is much more difficult with all the plastics mounted in there, if you're keeping those).

                          I'd say, just pick the wheel/tire size you want and figure it out from there. The larger you go, the more difficult it will be of course. A +22 is ok. I think the RPF1s were more available/cheaper at like, +35, so that's what I had grabbed...just waited on purchasing spacers till I had test fit and measured how much room I might need.

                          I mean, your current wheels/tires aren't too far off from what we're talking about here to imagine/measure fitment. Mount those up and measure it out?
                          Last edited by 0wn3r; 12-05-2017, 12:10 PM.
                          97 Kouki SR 240

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            17x9 (+22) with 255/40 is the de facto dual duty setup. It looks good and square and performs well. I just went to a 10" wheel because the current crop of tires perform and feel better with a bit a stretch.

                            17x9 +22 with 255/40
                            Core4 Motorsports
                            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X