Clutch Failure: SPEC Stage 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Failure: SPEC Stage 3

So the clutch in my 240 recently went out...

I did a "clutch kick" in 2nd gear and the car hooked up instead of breaking the tires loose. After that the clutch would not disengage. Pedal felt about the same but the clutch just wouldn't disengage.

~ 270whp 280ft-lb TQ from a S15 SR20 with stock turbo and a bunch of supporting mods.

I am using a S14 transmission and I also have a Toda light weight flywheel.

Just curious to see if anyone else has seen failures like this. Also debating if I should just replace the disk or if I should do a full clutch kit with a new pressure plate. The clutch only has around 15k miles with about 25% of that being hard driving/track miles but no crazy drifting/drift events so the clutch/flywheel are in pretty good shape.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ZainRacer; 12-07-2015, 09:23 PM.

I thought losing Springs was the standard way the spec clutches failed. Seems like the most common failure

Comment

I had the same on an ACT clutch yeeeears ago. lost two springs in it. one got stuck between the PP and clutch disc. I drove it home with no clutch and replaced the disc. Still on the same pressure plate for about 8 years now.
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Flywheel and PP look like they're still ok to me.
        '95 240sx

Comment

Yea, I'd toss a new disk in there and go to town. I'd replace the TOB and pilot bushing while it was all apart though. That's pretty cheap to do, and good insurance. I've had a TOB come apart on me on an M3 - kinda annoying since the clutch still had another 30-40k miles of life easy.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
          X