Skinny coil packs for s13 sr20det?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny coil packs for s13 sr20det?

So, I inadvertently bought a S13.5 valve cover and not a S13.4. Not really sure how I missed it.......

Anyways, as many of you know

1) The S15 coil pack holes are about 5mm narrower than the S13/S14
    2) S13 uses eternal ignitor
    3) etc

Any one have a direct fit (or close to) skinny S13 coil packs by any chance??

VQ35 could fit. They're a tad long, so they just need a hold down plate. Number one cool needs the hold down boss cut off of it. Keep in mind power and ground pins flipped compared to S13 coils!!!!

I think K20 Honda coils fit as well.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

K20 and AEM smart coils seemingly fit. Also, Toyota 1ZZ coils might be as close match to stock fitment as it comes.

How difficult is it to delete the ignitor and wire up directly to the smart coils?? It seems the ignitor is simply a signal wire (trigger) to the coils and can probably be directly wired up with the caveat and needing to know the dwell numbers.

Comment

You just need to wire across the igniter. From my research and tracing wiring, it was not straight across the plugs as some say, but honestly that's very murky as there's no S13 FSM out there that I could find for even wiring diagrams.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks Def. I could also just use the S15 coil packs and wire across the igniter. For my power level, I think they will hold up fine if I keep the coil pack cover removed.

Comment

To get rid of the ignitor on the S13 just wire straight across. There is an extra ground wire on the input side from memory. It doesn't need to be connected.

Without the ignitor you should be able to run s15 coil packs with no issues.
            I'm running Toyota yaris coils, but they would be too thick to fit in an s15 cover.

I haven't had a look at an s15 rocker cover but you might be able to mill the holes out to s13/s14 size, I'm pretty sure the gasket is still the same so it shouldn't effect the seal.
            S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
            Sam Collins Motorsport Facebook
            My youtube channel
            S13 Race car build

Comment

I don't think there is enough material to remove (this was considered).

I put the cover up for sale so we will see

What is the part number and the dwell settings for the Yaris coils?? I have seen people run it elsewhere.

I was considering 1ZZ coils. If I can score a set of S15 coils before I sell this, I may go that route.

Still taking suggestions for everyone else

Comment

Part no is 90919-02240
                There is more info and dwell settings are in this thread. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...k-info-thread=

Something else to consider. I was having issues filling the catch can because of the S13 breather setup. I was going to make an s13.4 cover but ended up just moving the breather from the sump to the opposite side of the cover so it was separate from the catch can breather. This has solved the problem, catch can now only catches a small amount of vapour.

This is mine setup with Yaris coils and breather. Obviously it should be done a bit neater than this...

S13 Race car, 310 rwkw, Lakeside 55.5, Queensland Raceway Sprint 56.69, QR National 1:17.1
                My youtube channel
                S13 Race car build

Comment

Thanks for that. Any pictures of your igniter delete any wiring?

Comment

No pics of that. I just googled an image of it. It's pretty straight forward. I1-E1, I2-E2 etc.
                    My youtube channel
                    S13 Race car build

Comment

Yep, picked up the wiring scheme last night

I was offered a set of S15 packs and wiring last night, so just waiting on a response. That's the easy button since it both plugs in the stock harness and bolts up to the coil pack mounts.

Thank guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X