Rocker stoppers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker stoppers

I am new to SR20's and there seems to be a problem with the rockers jumping off when driven hard seemingly when there is a hard/sudden rev cut. Is there another cure for this problem with the SR head other than fitting rocker stoppers ??

Is there aftermarket shims with higher sides that stops the follower jumping out?

Any help appreciated

Consensus is: don't run them.

Generally the stock limiter is better about not throwing rockers. AEM limiter tend to scatter them if not configured correctly.

Comment

Rocker arm stoppers are terrible to run. They only assist keeping a rocker arm from being tossed from the shims, but don't always work. And when a rocker arm does get tossed with the stoppers installed, it really does some damage. Much more than if the stoppers where not there. There are a few things you can do to keep rocker arms from being thrown.

- Don't bounce the revs off the limiter like a noob is the best remedy, lol
      - Do a dual Guide conversion (eliminate the shims)
      - Run S15 hydraulic lifters for a moderate fix
      - Run solid lifters for a good fix

I've ran my SR hard for 140K miles with stock hydraulic lifters with no issues, and another 7k miles really hard (revving over 8k) on solid lifters. Never threw any rockers. I don't bounce the revs on the limiter though...

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
      96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

If you have aftermarket ECU check your revlimiter option is fuel cut off. Other option is spark cut off which will cause problems. Also if you have somekind of aftermarket rev-limiter like Bee-r it will cut spark and cause problems.
        Last edited by Logic; 09-10-2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. So then just so I get it right its best to have solid lifters and a fuel cut limiter and not a spark cut limiter ??

Can you explain the "dual guide "conversion or a link to them please?

Comment

Each rocker arm has one shim and one guide above the valve stemperature tips. The shim is a flat disc where the guide has two walls that hold the rocker arm in alignment. These two little walls are all that keep your rocker arms from moving side to side for the most part. Some people machine the rocker arm to accept guides on both sides and eliminate the flat shims. Doubling the holding capacity of the arms (sorta). It does help, but it's something I have yet to do myself, lol.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

So when they jump off is it off the HLA or the top of the valves ??

Comment

Either I'd assume, but I have never had that problem, so I don't know from first hand experience, lol.

Comment

Usually when the jump the cam breaks them or tosses them completely off. Rocker arm stoppers are a double edge sword and I chose to not run them. The one time I threw rockers I broke both on cylinder 1 bouncing off the limiter at 8k or a spark cut limiter.

Bleedin your lifters helps and don't bounce off the limiter too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X