Welding ebay (isis) SS downpipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding ebay (isis) SS downpipe

So my DP is causing the entire exhaust system to hang too low. I'd like to chop it near the O2 housing and weld it up a little higher.

Does anyone have any experience welding this type of SS? I'm not really sure what it is, I wonder if there's a good generic wire material to go with for SS. I saw tri-mix gas (He, Ar, CO2) is ideal but I have C-25 at the moment that I may try.

I'll be on a small Lincoln MIG 115V machine.

The steel on that pipe is *probably* 304 stainless.

C-25 will leave the weld pretty ugly, and the weld will eventually rust due to the carbon introduced into the weld, but it will hold the stuff together. You're better off using a tri-gas mix. Then again if you're not concerned about it being pretty, aren't planning to weld stainless again (which means a $40 for a refill of tri-gas mix for one weld) and just want it to work, C25 will get the job done.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

308L wire is what you'd want to use.

For future stainless reference:
      http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...al-detail.aspx
      My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Matt. It's under the car so I am fine with poor appearance. I wonder if heat wrap or paint could help keep rust out of the weld.

How does a 308LSi grade wire sound?

Comment

It will take forever for the rust to actually matter. Though paint should help.

I haven't had bad luck getting a good looking weld from c25 and 308 wire, unless you're planning on using mild steel to extend it then you'll want 309.

Comment

the rust is a cosmetic issue only. I've used C25 with 308 wire before and it looked fine on day 1 after I ran over it with a wire wheel to remove all the black crap.

For the time it will take for any rust to become a structural issue, the turbo will have cooked the metal to death..

so again, it's only a cosmetic thing if you're looking at a <5yr lifespan. if you don't care about cosmetics, then run with it.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Yep, 308L wire and wire wheel it. If you want to go one step further, you can get a little SolarFlux for the inside of the weld. But I don't think it'll be hot enough to really cause much sugaring.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
              X