S13 Sunroof Compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 Sunroof Compatibility

Good afternoon. I have some questions regarding S13 sunroof size compatibility and was directed here via Logr.

Back in 2011 I made a carbon sunroof panel insert for a 89' S13 with a factory sunroof for a friend's SM Auto-X machine. Now, several years later another friend wanted an insert for his 89' S13. I pulled out my old mold and made one up for him.

However, when he went to begin the installation we discovered that it was almost an inch too narrow. I have the glass from both cars and they are distinctly different, both in physical size and the contour is slightly different. Both sunroofs are supposedly factory installs and the sheet metal cutout supports that assumption.

I made a mold for my second friend and he's now got his piece and is off and running. That said, we are still confused by the size difference. Is there any information available on what years of S13, and by extension S14, have compatible sunroof glass? My internet searching has only shown me that there appears to be a little confusion behind this topic but I have yet to find a concrete answer.

Can you guys shed a little light on this for me? I have dimensions and pictures of the etched markings of each glass if that is helpful.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Thank you,

Lee
    Lee Skidmore

93' SM turbo Subaru Legacy
    73' SSM 240 Z - far from stock...

http://www.northwindcomposites.com

Gentleman,

I see that there have been 60+ views and no responses. Therefore, I thought Iíd introduce myself a little more formally.

Mods/Admins Ė Iíve had an email and PM in with Veilside for a few weeks now with no response and if I am stepping over boundaries, please let me know. I am trying to respect the rules of your forum with regards to businesses selling things and your formal sponsor, hence my brief first post. I have not been able to find a formal policy in your FAQ and want to make sure I'm appropriate.

That said, my name is Lee Skidmore. I have a B.S. in aerospace engineering from Virginia Tech, 2006, and have been involved in aerospace composites since 2007. My day job is a design engineer for a GA aircraft OEM and I have a small side business that Iíve been working on getting off the ground Ė itís taken a little while but I met a girl through the track and ended up getting marriedÖ

Iíve been Auto-Xíing for the last 6 years and have been very active in my local club, including being Safety Officer and President for a couple years. I have a 93í turbo Legacy with more than a couple custom mods. Needless to say, I appreciate a nicely built car.

My purpose for the sunroof question here is to try and figure out which chassisís relate to which molds so that I can try and support the Nissan community. I have built several for the old legacy guys and have also been working on getting some hoods moving for them. Iím a small shop and tooling is expensive and therefore Iím not trying to go up against Seibon, Vis, Chinay, Ebay, etc. However, I am in a position where I can support some unique items.

My parts are designed with an aerospace design/construction mentality specifically for track cars. The sunroof inserts Iíve made come in around 32oz and are plenty stiff. I also have a low volume mold for an S13 trunklid from when I made a sub 4lb trunklid for a local racer.

Here are a couple links to my involvement over at the LegacyCentral BBS Ė
    http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53959 ,
    http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46851 (installation),
    http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtop...48495&start=75

Hopefully that gives everyone a little better idea of who I am and some reassurances of why Iím asking about your chassis. If anyone has additional input on the sunroofs, I would greatly appreciate it.

I will also offer up, if there are general composite care questions Ė feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Lee
    Lee Skidmore

Comment

Have you checked your local junkyard for sunroofs to measure/ buy? The sunroofs from your links look great! I would think that CF parts that can remove weight from the front of a 240sx may sell better around here, as most of our cars are nose heavy. Like front splitters, they cost around $200 to fabricate out of aluminum or alumilite. I assume that after build molds are built, the composite wouldn't be much more expensive to fabricate.

Comment

I don't have a sunroof or moonroof car to measure and probably not a lot of people do.

Only thing I can think of is that you did one plug for a coupe and one for a hatch, and those are different arrangements. If not, then no idea.

Also, I miss my legacy touring wagon

Comment

I have an s13 hatchback with an oem sunroof. Message me what you want measured. Keep in mind that the sunroof itself has a rubber seal around it, which adds to the dimensions. Also note that mine is old, (you shouldn't be surprised, haha) so it may be ripped in places. I can also snap a pic and give measurements of the hole in the roof where the sunroof goes into.

As I said, message me what you want and I will do my best to get it for you in a timely manner. Its cold in Chicago, and the car is all covered up in the garage, so I may not jump on it as soon as you message me. (I'm lazy.... I admit it...)

Lastly, I would be interested in a panel to replace my sunroof glass if prices aren't too bad.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Guys, I've known Lee for quite a few years. I will vouch for him. His parts are top notch.

The sunroofs he is talking about were both S13 power coupe roofs but like Lee said, very different. They both looked oem as I made them both not power.

Comment

Josh - Thank you for the compliment and the junkyard suggestion. I'm about an hour and half from the nearest junkyard and truthfully I hadn't thought about rummaging around there. Seems a little obvious now. I'm not opposed to looking into front splitters at a later date either.

e1_griego - That is a beautiful TW! I would miss it to . The Legacy is a fun platform. I hadn't thought about coupe/hatch differences. As Logr said, in this case I know both cars are coupes. I know Subaru is known for unofficially interchanging parts and using up inventory in their early days but I'm not sure if Nissan did the same?

Vlad - I will send you a PM and thank you for the help. I've provided you a cost in your PM instead of here as I'd like this thread to stay focused on sorting out compatibility. If it's acceptable for me to formally advertise on this forum then I will but this forum seems like a great place and I don't want to rock any boats.

For the sake of public knowledge/discussion I have posted two pictures of the identification markings on the glass. Both pieces are not the same width front to back so I've given the dimensions measured at the front and the rear.

The first glass (says Nissan) width measures 32-3/4in on one edge and 33.0in on the other. Measured on the sides at the start of the corner radius. It measures 14in front to back, measured at the center.

The second glass (says Thermalite) width measures 31-7/8in on one edge and 32-1/8in on the other. Measured at the sides at the start of the corner radius. It measures 14-1/2in front to back, measured at the center.

If memory serves right, the rubber seal extends over the glass almost 1/2in.

Hopefully this helps a little and I appreciate the help.
              Last edited by Northwind Composites; 02-06-2015, 10:10 AM.
              Lee Skidmore

Comment

I wonder if the Thermalite one was a decent aftermarket one. A friend had an S14 with an aftermarket sunroof and it was noticeably larger than an OEM piece. He sold the car for a non-sunroof car so I can't measure, but I'd venture a guess that it was 1.5-2" wider at least. Looked odd.

Once the snow settles I can measure the opening on my coupe parts car so you will have 3 numbers to compare. Not a great sample, but it's easier to guess on which one is the oddball with 3 than it is 2, haha.

EDIT: I'll also be up your way the last week of March. If having the glass would help, I could grab one from the coupe and a spare hatchback glass to haul with me. I'm spending a week in Orofino, ID for vacation.

Comment

Wawazat - Wow, I missed your edit by about a month. My apologizes as I saw your original post but not your edit. I greatly appreciate your offer and I won't lie - I'm very jealous of your trip to Orofino. There is some stellar blue ribbon fly fishing in those neck of the woods and I have a good friend up the river and over the hills in Kooskia. I hope you have a great time!

Unfortunately Orofino is still about a 3-4 hour drive from Sandpoint and I'm a bit stuck in town so I wouldn't be able to meet you. I will make the offer that if you decide you have time and want to trade me your hatch glass for a carbon insert (I'd use your glass to make the mold and return you a carbon unit) then we should talk. Otherwise, just some measurements of the opening on your coupe and some measurements on your hatch glass would be great.

I also don't think I can call the thermalite an aftermarket as I saw the hole it came out of and it looked like the sheet metal was stamped at the factory. It's a head scratcher but I know Subaru is not always known for clean design revision cut-in points. Maybe it's a case of that?

At this point, I've gotten to where I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer on the interweb and I put a couple pieces up on Ebay last night. I figure I'll just try to get some parts out there and see if I can back out compatibility from those who buy them.

That's the current plan. That said, I am all ears on any additional information and measurements. These are great weight savers for anyone looking to race a car with an insert and want to drop some weight.

Thank you again to everyone for the input and I'll watch more closely so I don't miss edits.
                  Lee Skidmore

Comment

Didn't some have pop up only and some had sliding?

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
                    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Sorry, I forgot all about this. I will try to grab some measurements for you on the coupe sunroof but it may be a few weeks before I get out there.

The hatch sunroof is just one of my spare parts off an old chassis. I now have a non-sunroof coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by wawazat View Post
                        Sorry, I forgot all about this. I will try to grab some measurements for you on the coupe sunroof but it may be a few weeks before I get out there.

The hatch sunroof is just one of my spare parts off an old chassis. I now have a non-sunroof coupe.
                        I would love a hatch sunroof made from Carbon.....

You send him the glass, I'll pay for the shipping of the glass to him and then I'll pay the return shipping of the carbon to me if I can keep the Carbon Roof

Comment

Wawzat - Thank you for the reply. I would love to have some measurements when you get back. What year is your hatch glass from?

Ben - Logr found a hatch glass in his stash of spare parts that I'm going to try and talk him out of. I will find out what year his is from. There are a couple other molds in line first but I'll be getting on it in the next couple months.

2L Turbo - You raise a good question. If those taking measurements will let us know if their sunroof lifted and/or opened? I unfortunately have not been around that many 240's to speak intelligibly to it.

Thank you for the input gentleman and please keep it coming. Thank you!
                          Lee Skidmore

Comment

Hey I was just thinking about this. I have a fastback with pop up sunroof. The seals are new and haven't been glued on yet so I can remove them to measure the raw glass. I was thinking about trying to make one myself, but if its available for a reasonable price I don't mind buying.

Comment

Rs4race - if you don't mind taking some dimensions I would greatly appreciate it. The more information I have the better. I know several of the members here are planning on getting some dimensions but haven't had a chance yet - thank you gentlemen. I still need to get the hatch glass off of Logr and find out what year chassis it came out of.

As far as pricing goes, I'm asking $250 plus shipping (around $20 in the lower 48). (Moderators, if pricing here is inappropriate, please delete and let me know.)
                              Lee Skidmore

Comment

Working...
                              X