S14 Rear Downforce Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Rear Downforce Question

My 97 S14 SE is a daily driver with a few HPDE's a year. I'm looking to increase the rear downforce for high speed stability and cornering. The car has the OEM rear spoiler, but I believe it's only cosmetic.

Is there another option that would help without going with a dedicated adjustable race wing?

The suspension is KWv3 and ride height was reduced about 1.5" from stock.

Thank you.
    '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
    '17 Civic Type R
    '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
    '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Pretty much need something to give you rear downforce. OEM rear spoiler does nothing really. You could do a real spoiler (like a rocket bunny, but that's a bit steep IMO), but it's not the most efficient from a lift/drag standpoint.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks Def.

The Rocket Bunny always reminded me of NASCAR (not that it makes a difference) but might be bit much if the gains are negligible. I wish there was an OEM option like the Integra Type-R or at least something semi - classy that won't attract too much attention on the street.

Does the fugly S14 JDM Kouki K's wing or Zenki Navan do anything or are they also cosmetic like the USDM? What about a 'duck bill' similar to some of the Mugen designs?

Thank you.
      Last edited by voiddweller; 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM.
      '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
      '17 Civic Type R
      '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
      '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

The Navan is a bigger ugly SE wing that still does nothing IMO.
        I do believe the K's wing did give a little downforce to a certain speed then actually started to create lift.
        I forgot who did the test but it was published years ago.

Comment

This might be the thread you're referring to from several years ago.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/s14-wing-...t-t398833.html

I wonder if the are any diffuser options or other under car solutions that are good for a DD and the occasional HPDE?
          Last edited by voiddweller; 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM.
          '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
          '17 Civic Type R
          '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
          '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

how about making a nascar style duck tail for track days? would you mind having the holes when not in use?

You could also add a gurneyflap to a spoiler you like and see how much you can improve it with that. It might not make a difference on a spoiler you like but it's worth a try.

the nascat style thing is pretty simple to make, some use lexan and turnbuckles

Comment

buy wing from old f1 car, then bolt it on top of trunk. Voila, lots of downforce.

Comment

Interesting ideas. Looks I'll need have a separate solution for the track. Time to hit the bone yard for another trunk lid.
                '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
                '17 Civic Type R
                '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
                '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

if you don't mind the holes you can use the same trunk lid, i have a kouki wing on my fastback for street use and have a kognition wing for track days, the holes are taped up from the bottom when i don't have the track wing. It doesn't look perfect i know but they aren't eye sores to me after the whole hatch has been given proper body work so it doesnt look like one of those "ratchet 240 scene" going around lately either. It helps that my car is a dark color, i think on a lighter color it would be to noticeable. But that's my opinion i know not everyone feels the same obviously.

Comment

Are you able to reuse any stock OEM holes with the kognition? I have a white car
                    '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
                    '17 Civic Type R
                    '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
                    '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

looking how noticeable holes are on my white vert i don't think you would like it. Yes i can reuse all stock holes, the kouki wing bolts are practically in the middle of the kognition base so i didn't have to touch them at all.

Kognitions base is really big, some other companies make much smaller ones that you might like more for your intended use.

Comment

Thank you. I'll do some research on similar styles.
                        '97 240SX - S13 SR20DET
                        '17 Civic Type R
                        '12 MDX - Tow Vehicle
                        '04 TSX 6MT - DD

Comment

Working...
                        X