vq35de hood clearance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vq35de hood clearance

hey so I was think about going vq35de but now that im looking for hood clearance pictures I ran into this thread

http://forums.nicoclub.com/build-thr...467670-90.html

this person is using the McKinney mounts. would I lost a lot of aerodynamic with this?

does anybody know of anything that did this swap? im curious to know if cutting out the skeleton of the hood will allow the engine to clear with no hood spacers

That's my car! Haha! Cutting the skeleton will not fix the issue. I actually ended up making a custom cowled hood to fix the problem. I'll take a picture for you later when I get home. In retrospect, I think a custom intake manifold might be the best way to go, but I guess it just depends on your skill set.

My new hood is heavy as all hell, so I'm likely going to have a mold made and get one built out of carbon fiber. Let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Fiberglass hood will be lighter and less expensive than carbon, since the usual suspects take a fiberglass hood and lay a sheet of carbon over the top and call it done.

downside is you have to paint it vs. purdy CF goodness.

I'm not sure where the issues are on those things- can you just put a small cowl on it or maybe get away with some 3000GT/Eclipse humps in the hood?
      Originally posted by SoSideways
      I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
      '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I've seen an Origin cowl hood (****ing sexy if you ask me) for the Silvia front but not for the US version.
        Originally posted by Matt93SE
        in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
          Fiberglass hood will be lighter and less expensive than carbon, since the usual suspects take a fiberglass hood and lay a sheet of carbon over the top and call it done.

downside is you have to paint it vs. purdy CF goodness.

I'm not sure where the issues are on those things- can you just put a small cowl on it or maybe get away with some 3000GT/Eclipse humps in the hood?
          Not sure id agree with that. My fiberglass hood was 19 lbs, VIS cf hood is 13-14 lbs.

The FG hood is all chopped strand, the CF hood can get the same stiffness with much less weight.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

It a small world lol, It would Definitely be great to see how big of hump u had to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
              Not sure id agree with that. My fiberglass hood was 19 lbs, VIS cf hood is 13-14 lbs.

The FG hood is all chopped strand, the CF hood can get the same stiffness with much less weight.
              Depends on where you go, what you get. The hood on my rX7 weighs about 4-5 lbs, but it was handmade by the previous owner.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Exactly. And your hood would be stronger and stiffer if it were made out of CF vs. FG.

There's absolutely no structural/mechanical reason the CF hood should weigh more, and like for like it should weigh less.

Almost all the off the shelf FG hoods I've seen have been chopped strand blown into a mold, which is a relatively heavy composite manufacturing method.

Comment

...And the cheap CF hoods are the SAME FG hood with a cosmetic layer of CF on top of it. yeah it stiffens the hood, but it's not going to weigh much/any less than a FG hood.

We went through all this a couple years ago. I found some place selling CF hoods on fleabay and asked them about doing a FG-only hood for a race car to save the cost of the CF. They told me how they made the hoods and would simply leave the CF top layer off and it's $200 less. weighs a little less too. voila.
                  http://nissanroadracing.com/showthre...iberglass+hood
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

That doesn't match my actual experience weighing actual hoods. The CF hood is about 5-6 lbs lighter and stiffer.

Comment

If you get a high quality one that's 100% CF construction, yes. However many of the 'discount' brands don't do that. They're a FG hood with a veneer over em.
                      If you stick with a VIS or Seibon, probably not gonna be an issue.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Those look like Mckinney mounts... make your own and you can get it lower. I had to space mine up about an inch and it's hardly noticeable (sig pic). I did cut out the bracing inside the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by spent View Post
                          Those look like Mckinney mounts... make your own and you can get it lower. I had to space mine up about an inch and it's hardly noticeable (sig pic). I did cut out the bracing inside the hood.
                          Do you have a build thread? I've read fitment on the Mckinney's is not great even for the VQ35DE. Intake manifold hiting above firewall, needing to be cut. Spending $500 on mounts that don't fit perfect, or for my specific swap seems like a waste (vq35hr).

Comment

Originally posted by JRas View Post
                            Do you have a build thread? I've read fitment on the Mckinney's is not great even for the VQ35DE. Intake manifold hiting above firewall, needing to be cut. Spending $500 on mounts that don't fit perfect, or for my specific swap seems like a waste (vq35hr).
                            It is not an issue of the mounts being a waste because it doesnt entirely fit perfect. The issue is the engine can only fit do to other clearance issues underneith. If you want to put a different engine into a different chassis sometimes you have to make sacrifices and modifications to the chassis. Of make your own intake manifold.

The McKinny mounts are super strong and very well made. Knockoffs may not be as accuratly measured or welded up as well. The intake manifold hitting has been an issue for just about every VQ35DE swap, its a universal issue because the VQ35DE and Z33 chassis were designed to fit together. A raised hood, or lowered front cross member are your only real options. I was able to get away with 1/2" spacers on my hood which doesnt look too bad, but the VQ35DE engine guys have to go higher or cut alot more stuff out.

Comment

Has anyone thought to try making rubber baffles to seal the hood area back up so the cooling system still works properly without too much added mods? Like the Home Depot lips but for the hood.
                              Originally posted by Matt93SE
                              in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Working...
                              X