No announcement yet.

GKTech roll center correction kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wish Greg was a bit more forthcoming on why his engineer choose the direction he did.

I was a bit... puzzled as well on the front spindles when he consulted me. But thankfully I gave some pretty good back and forth review of the design as it evolved, which I think turned the front spindles into pretty solid products. Too bad he didn't keep making them. I suggest a change to a cheaper material than 7075, but I think he got burned a bit by the machine shop when they revised the price up on him and he had to meet the GB orders. It happens, even in China...
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Looks like I missed the note for the first group buy... I was going to snag a set of the rear knuckles primarily to correct some of the camber gain that comes with a lot of roll center correction. Guess I'll shoot a note anyways and see if I can get in...

Comment

They are producing sheet metal fclas within the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexg View Post
          They are producing sheet metal fclas within the next few months.
          I spoke with Greg at gktech about the new sheet metal front knuckles,
          They are designed and built around drifting maximum angle, close to zero ackerman and will not have any kpi adjustment either, Essentially a lighter less expensive version of the driftworks knuckle.
          Still not really ideal for grip.
          Last edited by Cbettis87; 11-19-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

That sucks... Back to wondering how I can build my own front knuckles, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
              That sucks... Back to wondering how I can build my own front knuckles, I guess.
              Greg did say it wouldn't be to hard to modify the steering pickup points since the knuckles are sheet metal construction. however id be weary of cutting them up to much and modifying them without any engineering computer magic load testing.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
                Looks like I missed the note for the first group buy... I was going to snag a set of the rear knuckles primarily to correct some of the camber gain that comes with a lot of roll center correction. Guess I'll shoot a note anyways and see if I can get in...
                You can take my spot if that's allowed haha. I don't have the money at the moment unfortunately.

Originally posted by Cbettis87 View Post
                I spoke with Greg at gktech about the new sheet metal front knuckles,
                They are designed and built around drifting maximum angle, close to zero ackerman and will not have any kpi adjustment either, Essentially a lighter less expensive version of the driftworks knuckle.
                Still not really ideal for grip.
                Given that my setup isn't exactly a traditional road course setup, I'm at very slightly positive ackerman right now, and honestly, I've never been in a better handling S-chassis than mine. It turns in with haste and grips extremely hard, I regularly scare the crap out of people with 205 595's on the front. I guess I haven't really been in any S-chassis that is set up for road course or autocross, and my setup is pretty "weak" as far as tire grip itself goes, sooooo take all that with a grain of salt.

I guess my point is, just because it doesn't have much ackerman doesn't mean it's not going to handle well.
                Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Ackerman probably doesn't affect turn in that much, probably more ultimate grip at the limit. That said, it seems like track cars would actually want pretty close to no ackerman based on tire grip vs. slip angle curves. The lighter loaded inside tire will be closer to its tire grip peak for that load with zero ackerman, or even negative ackerman like an F1 car (watch them in tight corners, inside wheel turns less than the outside).

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
                    I've never been in a better handling S-chassis than mine.
                    205 595's on the front.
                    I don't care what the geometry is, a 205 595s ain't cuttin' it.

Comment

I know you from other forums and respect you poormans180sx. What is with the 205s? You on 6"wide rims or something?
                      Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                      TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Got my stuff put on. will be a while till i get to test it out though.. I'm from the same area as Poorman, except i wont drive mine in the winter.. even if it were running.

Pics

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                          I don't care what the geometry is, a 205 595s ain't cuttin' it.
                          I know, I know, believe me.

Originally posted by eye-5 View Post
                          I know you from other forums and respect you poormans180sx. What is with the 205s? You on 6"wide rims or something?
                          My front wheels are 17x8.25+10, Federals run big for their size, and my front track is roughly 140mm wider than stock, so it kind of limits my options on stock fenders. Origin 50mm's are coming soon, which will help tons.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 11-22-2014, 02:14 PM.
                          Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                            I just wish Greg was a bit more forthcoming on why his engineer choose the direction he did.

I was a bit... puzzled as well on the front spindles when he consulted me. But thankfully I gave some pretty good back and forth review of the design as it evolved, which I think turned the front spindles into pretty solid products. Too bad he didn't keep making them. I suggest a change to a cheaper material than 7075, but I think he got burned a bit by the machine shop when they revised the price up on him and he had to meet the GB orders. It happens, even in China...
                            Hi Def,

Greg here, I'll bring Siim our engineer (for the past 12 months, different engineer to the front knuckles) in here in the next few days to explain the rear drop knuckles but I'm unsure of what you're referring to in being 'more forthcoming' on the changes that have been made? Any questions, they'll be answered and this has always been the case. We're a small business and incredibly transparent.

In regards to the front knuckles, the emails we did exchange, the input from you was appreciated but unfortunately based on the FEA conducted producing the knuckles from a cheaper aluminium wasn't an option. The cost and individual number of components to keep on the shelf was just too high. Hence the move to a sheet metal, single piece design.

Comment

Originally posted by gktech View Post
                              Hi Def,

Greg here, I'll bring Siim our engineer (for the past 12 months, different engineer to the front knuckles) in here in the next few days to explain the rear drop knuckles but I'm unsure of what you're referring to in being 'more forthcoming' on the changes that have been made? Any questions, they'll be answered and this has always been the case. We're a small business and incredibly transparent.

In regards to the front knuckles, the emails we did exchange, the input from you was appreciated but unfortunately based on the FEA conducted producing the knuckles from a cheaper aluminium wasn't an option. The cost and individual number of components to keep on the shelf was just too high. Hence the move to a sheet metal, single piece design.
                              No worries Greg. I think the knuckles are a work of art, so no knocking coming from me.

"Forthcoming" probably wasn't the best word to use, I guess just what the reasoning behind some of the major design choices. Some of that is explained for drifting, so maybe I'm feeling a bit scorned as a grip guy. I'm used to it in the S chassis world.

BTW - I've got some questions on the FLCAs. I'm debating what to use for on the knuckles. Do they offer any RC correction in the pins? What's the thickness of the sheet metal on the top of it? I'll probably have to weld up something to use rod ends on the end of my sway bars.

Comment

Thanks for responding Greg. Maybe this would be a good place to get input from your other market for s chassis parts (non drifting) as you continue to develop more items. Looking forward to hearing from the engineer, and other people that are more knowledgeable than myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X