Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S13 Race Car Seat mounting and General Race Car Prep...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 Race Car Seat mounting and General Race Car Prep...

Hey everyone,

This should probably be two threads, but here it goes: I'm currently building an S13 for 24 Hours of Lemons and Chump Car racing in the North East/Atlantic region. I have a Daytona XL seat with a halo that I wanted to use for this car since they are pretty cheap for a halo seat and the average height of the members of my team is about 6'1" and around 200lbs. The tallest guy is 6'5" and the fattest guy is 5'11" and 225lbs so we need a fairly long seat back as well as slightly wider in the hip and mid section.

I bought a Planted LOW mount seat bracket hoping that I could get away with a simple bolt-on solution and did a test fit. Well, I chuckled and threw up in my mouth a little. The seat is nowhere near low enough to pass any sort of safety tech inspection (top of driver's helmet 2" below top of main hoop in Lemons) and the "low" mount seat bracket is not low when using the Daytona XL.

So that brings me here where I've been lurking for a little. Just wanted to see and get some ideas from others that race their cars where it's imperative to have your head below and away from the cage. I particularly want to see FIA fiberglass/kevlar shell side mounted seats (with a halo), but whatever you have where customization was done, I would love to see. First thing that popped to mind is that I need to cut away the stock seat mount rail and exhaust clearance zone on the floor and flatten out up until the transmission tunnel. Like this but here with a Kirkey seat. As for the exhaust, just route a side exit exhaust to the passenger side (stuff doesn't/shouldn't look too pretty in Lemons/Chump...except safety I guess).

I'm just worried that I actually need to box and drop the whole floor an inch or so where the seat mounts. The halo certainly doesn't make life easier either. Part of me wants to sell the Momo and just get a Kirkey seat, but other powers on the team really wanted an FIA approved Halo seat (lots of new dads like to see "FIA certified") where the seat back doesn't need to be permanently supported/mounted.

Other than that, what can recommend as some quick and dirty suspension upgrades/parts for the 240sx? I have some KYB GR2's with some no name lowering springs right now and some kind of FSB that the previous owner had on there. How does the stock KA24DE hold up to 8 hours of endurance racing? Any oil starvation issues? Any and all input would be great and sorry for the long winded post!

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by gills; 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Bride FG rails will put the seat on the floor IF it's not very wide. My Recaro Pole Position is too wide to fit on the rails (even with lots of grinding). My JDM Recaro SPG replica fits there no problem.

I think the best thing to do for a KA is to get rid of all the smog crap and then run 93 in it for the race after freshening gaskets and whatnot. They seem to be pretty robust in stock form.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I had the same issue with the Bride FG rails. My solution was to cut the welds that hold the slider portion to the actual mounting portion. When you reweld it, just weld it so that it is spaced further apart.

Comment

The Planted seat mounts are as versatile as you are going to get without custom welding your own solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphim38 View Post
          The Planted seat mounts are as versatile as you are going to get without custom welding your own solution.
          Right. Do you have anything done? Wanted to see some others' work with side mounted fiberglass seats for ideas.
          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

This was a big concern of mine when building my cage. I'm only 6'1" and was having trouble getting the seat low enough to have a comfortable clearance from the cage. I purchased a side mount seat and everything else custom. Here are a few photos. Had to relocate the floor support forward and cut away the exhaust hump/fab a new portion of the floor with brackets welded in. The pictures should speak for themselves. Tons of work but worth it.

'91 Silvia w/ S14 SR20DET - Track Car
            '07 Subaru WRX STi - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by just_drive View Post
              This was a big concern of mine when building my cage. I'm only 6'1" and was having trouble getting the seat low enough to have a comfortable clearance from the cage. I purchased a side mount seat and everything else custom. Here are a few photos. Had to relocate the floor support forward and cut away the exhaust hump/fab a new portion of the floor with brackets welded in. The pictures should speak for themselves. Tons of work but worth it.
              Excellent. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks very much for the pics. Now a few questions if you don't mind.
              • Which seat are you using (does it have a halo)?
              • How far is the top of your helmet from the top of the main hoop on your cage?
              • How did you manage the exhaust?
              • What gauge sheet metal did you use/what thickness is the OEM floor?
              • Why did you decided to keep the floor support instead of removing it completely?

Looks real good. Thanks again.
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

IMO the hump isn't in the way as long as you don't like to sit bolt upright (I don't). Much easier to drive when you get a slight recline going on like a well setup kart.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                  Excellent. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks very much for the pics. Now a few questions if you don't mind.
                  • Which seat are you using (does it have a halo)?
                    --corbeau fx1 pro, no halo
                  • How far is the top of your helmet from the top of the main hoop on your cage?
                    --not sure off the top of my head(no pun intended), I'll try and remember to measure when I'm out in the garage. I do know it easily passes the 'broom stick' test that NASA uses.
                  • How did you manage the exhaust?
                    --That hump is really there for the stock exhaust, mine is aftermarket and doesn't have any clearance issues with it
                  • What gauge sheet metal did you use/what thickness is the OEM floor?
                    --Can't recall exact gauge, will measure that when I'm out there
                  • Why did you decided to keep the floor support instead of removing it completely?
                    --Less work and same result IMO

Looks real good. Thanks again.
                  See my answers above.

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  IMO the hump isn't in the way as long as you don't like to sit bolt upright (I don't). Much easier to drive when you get a slight recline going on like a well setup kart.
                  True. You can probably get away without removing the hump with some rake in the seat. I prefer a more upright position so that's why the hump had to go.
                  '91 Silvia w/ S14 SR20DET - Track Car
                  '07 Subaru WRX STi - Daily

Comment

Here is what I did. Thatís an in progress pic. I don't have any pictures of it finished. I added additional bars running across the floor tying in the tunnel and the side sill.

I'm not super tall but like to sit somewhat upright. I'm only 5' 11" but I'm all torso. Headroom is a real problem for me in a lot of cars even without a helmet my head will hit the roof in quite a few cars.

Still pretty tight as far as headroom goes

Comment

Originally posted by The Arp View Post
                      Here is what I did. Thatís an in progress pic. I don't have any pictures of it finished. I added additional bars running across the floor tying in the tunnel and the side sill.

I'm not super tall but like to sit somewhat upright. I'm only 5' 11" but I'm all torso. Headroom is a real problem for me in a lot of cars even without a helmet my head will hit the roof in quite a few cars.

Still pretty tight as far as headroom goes
                      Looks good! Is that Cobra seat a regular sized seat? And what gauge sheet metal did you use for the patches? Did you butt weld the panels in, or are they over lapping (lap welded?) the floor pan material.

I'm more of an upright driver too, but I'm not worried so much about me as I am the 6'5" guy on my lemons team!
                      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I'm 6'4", and still trying to find out what to do, ha ha. I thought there are some classes that don't allow floor pan modification? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I need to figure something out though...

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
                        96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                          I'm 6'4", and still trying to find out what to do, ha ha. I thought there are some classes that don't allow floor pan modification? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I need to figure something out though...
                          Damn, do you have your cage in your car? What kind of seat are you using?

There are definitely classes in "legit" racing organizations that don't allow floor pan modification, but I'm talking about Lemons here. As long as everything looks decently structurally sound, they're ok with it. They are getting more and more strict with safety year by year, which is obviously a good thing.
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I don't have a cage yet, but I will need one soon-ish. I'm still on stock seats as of now, because I haven't found a seat that fits me and the car at the same time; that I can afford... ha ha.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
                            96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
                              Looks good! Is that Cobra seat a regular sized seat? And what gauge sheet metal did you use for the patches? Did you butt weld the panels in, or are they over lapping (lap welded?) the floor pan material.

I'm more of an upright driver too, but I'm not worried so much about me as I am the 6'5" guy on my lemons team!

The seat is a cobra Sebring pro gt.
                              http://www.subesports.com/products/c...ra/prodID/1985

It is a seat for tall drivers. It is also a little wider. The width helps as I am a little big boned........

Most head restraint seats end up pinning down my shoulders with the head restraints. There are a few that the head restraints are so low I physically couldnít even get into the seat.

As for construction i used 16 gauge cold rolled sheet to construct the floor. I used primarily lapp joints but there are some areas that are butt jointed as well. All the reinforcements and seat mounting features are 1/8 or thicker.
                              The patch in my car is actually two folded pieces of metal that are butt welded together to get the shape right.

2_Liter_Turbo

I would ask whoever you are racing with if you can modify the floor. Most NASA classes do not allow you to modify the floor. I believe the intent of the rule is to prevent crazy levels of modification, flat bottoms etc.

I have seen multiple cases of NASA allowing any exception to the rule to allow for safe and proper seat mounting. The cases I've seen were for mounting wide seat in Miataís running in nasa PT.

Just ask and Iím sure you can get and exception if you just explain what you are going to do and why, especially if it is for safety reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X