Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory Flow Rate for S13 Cylinder Head?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Flow Rate for S13 Cylinder Head?

Anyone know the intake and exhaust port flow rate for a factory S13 cylinder head?

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Nevermind, Alex sent me a couple links. Looks like around 204 CFM on the intake and 115 CFM on the exhaust side for a factory high port SR head...

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Ok, I'm not so sure on that exhaust port flow rate, seems a little low after getting my numbers back, lol.

Comment

I've typically seen them in the low 200's on intake and low 100's on exhaust.
        VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Interesting. Well I got some numbers back on my highport cylinder head (oversized valves and ported). I got 240CFM @ .5" lift on the intake and 184CFM @ .5" lift on the exhaust. Little more than a stock VE on the exhaust side and a little less on the intake side. Both heads tested on the same machine; I'll have pretty exact numbers later tonight.

Comment

I wouldn't just look at peak numbers. The valve spends very little time there. Integrate the area under the curve for a given cam profile.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I definitely am not. I have both curves, and will be posting a comparison chart tonight when I get it together. I think it'll help out the comparison discussion a bit. I know the VE head is better, but It would have cost me a LOT more money to go that route than just stay with the DE head. If I didn't already have a bunch of head parts already, the cost is about the same, but I already had the extra parts on the DE head.

Comment

Here is what my completely stock VE head flowed;

Intake
                Lift CFM
                .050-49
                .100-86.2
                .150-122.6
                .200-158.6
                .250-192.5
                .300-225
                .350-249.2
                .400-263.5
                .450-272.9

Exhaust

Lift CFM
                .050-46.5
                .100-86
                .150-118.5
                .200-147
                .250-171
                .300-183.5
                .350-188.8
                .400-193
                .450-196
                VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post
                  Here is what my completely stock VE head flowed;

Intake
                  Lift CFM
                  .050-49
                  .100-86.2
                  .150-122.6
                  .200-158.6
                  .250-192.5
                  .300-225
                  .350-249.2
                  .400-263.5
                  .450-272.9

Exhaust

Lift CFM
                  .050-46.5
                  .100-86
                  .150-118.5
                  .200-147
                  .250-171
                  .300-183.5
                  .350-188.8
                  .400-193
                  .450-196
                  Which is fairly close to the chart that I have, but the exhaust port wasn't as good. It was done by the same machine at the same company, so I think the results are comparable. Some pretty good numbers for sure though, lol. I'm not saying the DE head is better or even "as good" (because it isn't, lol), I just wanted to compare.

Comment

Posted the comparison in my build thread:

http://nissanroadracing.com/showthre...t=2222&page=14

Comment

From my understanding and research, the best way to have the head flow benched is to have the intake and exhaust manifolds bolted up, to give you a "true" reading. I didn't have mine done that way. In the future I plan on having my or another head ported for max flow. I'd just like to finish my build currently and get it running/driveable, it's been down for almost 3years now.
                      VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Originally posted by jr_ss View Post
                        it's been down for almost 3years now.

I hear you on that one... lol

Comment

This is flow bench test I did a few years ago.

FWD SR20DE high port head ported on intake and exhaust.
                          -stock valves
                          -3 angle valve job done in a Serdi
                          -replaced guides
                          -all test performed on a SuperFlow 600 bench at 28" water using Audie Technology Digital inteface with a Mitutoyo stepper motor, aka put in desired lifts in program and it runs/records all data on its own.

For some reason I cannot locate the file/data testing the exhaust ports

SR20VE is definitely the way to go. I just bought a complete head with manifolds for $250. I will need to get it set up sooner or later.

Comment

Taken from my build thread I linked earlier:

They also bench tested my cylinder head. I honestly forgot to have them flow test it as stock, so I'm pretty bummed about not having stock numbers to compare it to, but I do have numbers (from them) from when they tested a stock SR20VE cylinder head. I know the SR20VE head is much better than the standard highport DET head (especially after some work), but I just couldn't afford to make the swap. However, I'm fairly happy with the results I got back from the DET head. Looks like the exhaust side flows a tad better than a stock VE head now, but still lacking a little up top for the intake side. I'm OK with that though. I know other people have gotten different numbers for both heads, but I figured since these were both tested by the same company on the same equipment, that it would be a reasonable comparison. Here's a little chart I put together comparing the two:

Comment

Based on the information in both your's and Pavel's posts, it's safe to say anything over .450"/11.5mm of lift is pointless and doesn't net any real additional flow on the DE/T head. I understand it still increases, but it's marginal at best.

With that said, I wonder why Tomei, HKS, etc have cams with 12+mm of lift, when it doesn't exactly produce any positive results? Possibly to take full advantage and cram as much air in as possible? I know there is more to cam design than peak lift, such as ramp up profiles, duration, etc. I wish more information on cam design for the SR was available.
                              VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Working...
                              X