Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VG Trans Kits for SR20: Xcessive or Mazworx?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG Trans Kits for SR20: Xcessive or Mazworx?

So I picked up a Z32 TT transmission today for a decent price, and wanted to see what you guys had for input on the two popular "kits" (Xcessive and Mazworx). I like the ease of install and the fact that they are local to me of the Xcessive kit, but not a fan of the flywheel spacer. Looking to put 450-500whp when the motor gets done (if ever...), which is right around that fine line for the SR20 transmissions.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

I wasn't a fan of the spacer either so, I bought the Mazworx kit. I am pleased with it.
    VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Does it need a new starter as well? And how was shifter placement?

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

No, you'll use the factory SR starter and shifter positioning on my S14 is back about 4-5" and off center it's closer to the driver. Some trimming to the factory hole for the shifter will be needed. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.
        VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Cool, thanks! I'd actually prefer the shifter to be further towards the rear, lol. I have to reach a good amount for the factory location (I'm 6'4"). Good to hear that I wouldn't have to buy a new starter, lol.

Comment

Here's what I could dig up...

VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Nice, thanks! Is that the mazworx shifter that is sent with the kit? When you shift down into 2nd/4th/R, does it hit anything? I actually like the placement, lol. Thanks for the pictures man.

Comment

Yes, that is the Mazworx short throw that is included in the kit. 2nd gear does hit the shifter trim slightly, 4th and R are fine.
                VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info man. Definitely helps!

Comment

I have the Xcessive kit on my car. There are a few things I don't like about it though; first off the adapter plate is a lot bigger around than it needs to be and can hit the o2 housing on an SR. Second is the shifter bracket isn't that strong and will bend if you use a short sifter. Third is the flywheel spacer and the bolts provided, you would think that being the flywheel you would want a bolt with a shoulder on it and not just all thread, but they were ARP bolts. The customer service is awesome, I bought my kit second hand and it was out of an s14 so I emailed them and asked about swapping out driveshafts and they did at no cost to me. I think I was lucky though because the driveshaft I had looked brand new and had barely anytime on it.

Comment

I am picking up a z32 trans tomorrow night with the xcessive kit on it.

I ordered the z speed reinforced heavy duty clutch fork and hardened pivot ball, along with the z1 short shifter.

Hardvision, thanks for the info. I will probably have my builder weld on a reinforcement to the xcessive shifter bracket. 2nd on the xcessive customer service; they are great.

Comment

Yeah no problem! A brace that goes from the rear of the bracket, forward and down to the transmission so its triangulated should be enough.

Kinda like this.

With another brace on the other side.

Comment

You could just weld a couple small gussets on the bracket, and it would beef it up immensely. Thanks for the first hand info HardVision! The limited contact I had with Xcessive was great, instant e-mail replies with good info. I do value customer service a lot, but I am kind of leaning towards the Mazworx kit so far. Haven't fully decided yet though, lol.

Comment

2_liter: I suggest that the trans you pick up be checked over at a transmission shop. 2nd and 4th gear grinds are common place in higher mileage VG trans. If you have a transmission already in known good condition then no worries.
                            VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

I already have the transmission. I checked it out before I bought it as best as I could, but that doesn't mean much, lol. It seemed to shift through everything with ease, even while turning the input shaft. They (the shop I bought it from) said it came off of a front clip with under 50k (I think he said 48k) that a customer ordered for just the engine. We'll see though, hopefully it's good

Comment

Working...
                              X