Diff fluid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff fluid

What diff fluid do you guys use? In reading the trans fluid thread had me thinking about diff fluid since I just finished my diff. Just the Redline/Amsoil 75w90?

Depends if you have Clutch Type or not.
    I'm an Open so I only use whatever 75/90 crap I have. Right now I believe there is GM fluid in there.

Comment

Motul 90PA with ford friction modifier in Cusco LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
        Depends if you have Clutch Type or not.
        I'm an Open so I only use whatever 75/90 crap I have. Right now I believe there is GM fluid in there.
        ****, I actually meant to say in the OP to list your diff unit and preferred oil, if any. Also note if you run a friction modifier.

Comment

s15 hlsd, takes any 75w90 GL5. I used Redline Heavy shockproof with pretty good result but was way too thick and overkill for autocross. Switched to Amsoil Severe Gear now.

Comment

Originally posted by hai1206vn View Post
            s15 hlsd, takes any 75w90 GL5. I used Redline Heavy shockproof with pretty good result but was way too thick and overkill for autocross. Switched to Amsoil Severe Gear now.
            That's what I wanted to hear.... I was thinking that heavy shockproof is a bit too much for the R200, even in the heaviest tracking members here.

Comment

Originally posted by marcinko View Post
              Motul 90PA with ford friction modifier in Cusco LSD.
              Ford friction modifier is liquid gold (though smells like liquid ass) for clutch diffs. I had one when I ran my 1.5 KAAZ. It had absolutely perfect road manners.
              She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Lightweight Shockproof is good stuff for our usage.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  Lightweight Shockproof is good stuff for our usage.
                  Do you use and/or find it necessary to employ any friction modifier?

FWIW, I have a Quaife LSD.

Comment

If it's a gear type like the quaife, then the friction modifiers aren't needed unless the diff manufacturer states it. The clutch type diffs are the ones that need the friction modifiers.
                    Originally posted by SoSideways
                    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Redline 75W90NS (no friction modifier) with no additional modifier; OS Giken Clutch LSD
                      NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Back from the dead...

I'm getting ready to change out my diff fluid, it's old and has quite a few miles on it now.

My question is, is it worth going up in viscosity on my Helical? It doesn't make any noise and factory spec for the S15 is 80w-90, GL5 equivalent(take from the FSM). I plan on running Amsoil Severe Gear but was thinking of going to the 75W-140(I have some sitting on my shelf). It's always hot here, generally speaking(winter months see some days in the 50s/60s) but never sustained cold snaps. I have no problem sticking with the 75/80w-90 fluid, but the car see's quite a bit of hard launches, tire spin and some wheel hop when I take her to the strip. I figured the heavier fluid would add a bit of protection and not really have any adverse affects.

Am I wrong and should I stick with factory spec? Thanks in advance.
                        VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

You're fine with the thicker stuff. Just a touch more parasitic loss, but the higher viscosity won't hurt anything.

I would also recommend mixing w red line shockproof if you routinely deal with high shock loads.
                          Originally posted by SoSideways
                          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                          X