Tranny Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just found this picture of an S14 KA gearbox disassembled;

It appears to have the same shifter forks as the S13 tranny pictures earlier in this thread.

I found the picture in a thread on NicoClub where a guy was installing an S14 KA transmission onto his SR engine by swapping the bellhousings.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-swapp...n-t278158.html
    Last edited by djsilver; 08-05-2011, 02:27 AM.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

Another hot tip.

If you manage to pop your shifter selector rod out of the shift forks you can remove the rear transmission housing and reset the shift selector rod and re-install the rear housing without having to pull the transmission.

Very handy.
      The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Or you can sit on the side of the track like I did and curse and punch the shifter until it re-seats itself and go back to racing. that was a major WTF moment at my first race!
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

In the vein of this thread, is there somewhere to buy a replacement input shaft bearing for an SR trans?

Comment

I always pull the bearing and reorder based on trade number on bearing,
            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Gotcha. I was hoping to minimize downtime but I know that^ is the smart way to do it

Comment

Maybe Umai Kakudo can give you the part number since he's got one torn apart right now...
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
                  RB25 trans bolts up with no trans adapter needed. You just need to notch two of the bolt holes.
                  There's also a 3rd bolt that's completely missing on the RB transmission.

I ended up just hacking out the poor-fit section of the RB and welding in a corresponding KA section:

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                    Gotcha. I was hoping to minimize downtime but I know that^ is the smart way to do it
                    On my redtop trans here's the numbers from my input shaft bearing:
                    6306cnxcs30
                    tmb306cla

I hope I didn't screw myself, I just ordered mine from nissan from the part number for a 95 ka, I didn't realize there were so many differences in these trans. It's supposed to be here monday, so I'll see...
                    Last edited by ericb382; 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericb382 View Post
                      On my redtop trans here's the numbers from my input shaft bearing:
                      6306cnxcs30 tmb306cla

I hope I didn't screw myself, I just ordered mine from nissan from the part number for a 95 ka, I didn't realize there were so many differences in these trans. It's supposed to be here monday, so I'll see...
                      I don't think they changed. The clutch part should be the same so is the input shaft bearing.

My Blog

My Racing video's

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                        Or you can sit on the side of the track like I did and curse and punch the shifter until it re-seats itself and go back to racing. that was a major WTF moment at my first race!
                        Tried that with no luck. Tried to re-jigger it in the pits with the shifter access plate off and no luck either.

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                        In the vein of this thread, is there somewhere to buy a replacement input shaft bearing for an SR trans?
                        Looking at the SR trans the numbers on the input shaft bearing are:

Japan YU
                        NTN
                        Outer Race: 6306CNXCS30
                        Grease Seal: TM83066LA

The unsealed S13 KA24DE style trans has the same outer race number and the following differences:
                        • it is "Japan PU" instead of "Japan YU"
                        • The TM83 seal number is not there as the bearings are not sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Umai Kakudo View Post
                          Tried that with no luck. Tried to re-jigger it in the pits with the shifter access plate off and no luck either.

Looking at the SR trans the numbers on the input shaft bearing are:

Japan YU
                          NTN
                          Outer Race: 6306CNXCS30
                          Grease Seal: TM83066LA

The unsealed S13 KA24DE style trans has the same outer race number and the following differences:
                          • it is "Japan PU" instead of "Japan YU"
                          • The TM83 seal number is not there as the bearings are not sealed.
                          TMB306CLA

Depending on what font you're reading I can see how these two could be mixed up, but I went out and double checked my input shaft bearing and this is definately the number on the seal.

Comment

I was having a hard time seeing the difference on the 8/B and apparently the 6/C. Need to use a magnifying glass and better lighting!

Comment

Originally posted by ericb382 View Post
                              I ordered mine for a KA once and it worked fine on the KA transmission.
                              'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                              [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                              [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I Searched and this is the only thread that mentions "FS5W71H"

I would love to know more exactly which pullers I will want. I am going to get a big stand-up press for the job but the FSM doesn't help me much with the puller sizes. I see one is very very long, kinda worried about that. They sell it for $500 I finally tracked down a supplier. A couple of the tools (2/14) are cheap $25 and $75, and in stock, I will get those two. But none of the pullers are cheap, and that long one I am not sure about yet.
                                Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM.
                                Originally posted by Def

The reason why you want signal lines as slow as possible, is that there is actually some mass flow through the signal line, enough that the cross sectional area and "long" run can cause significant minor head losses.

Comment

Working...
                                X