Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding in jacking points or reinforcing existing tabs on s13?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are knockoff S14 framerail "ladder bars" on ebay. Not sure you could jack off of them.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

^I purchased one of those ebay ladder bars a while back for my s14. It was a piece of junk.... When standing it up I could easily get it to bend by pressing down on it with some weight. The mounting holes were also off. I think I ended up giving it away.

I use slit/grooved hockey pucks on the pinch welds if its sitting for a while... works great if you have jack stands with flat tops and your pinch welds are still decent.
      If it's just to get the wheels off the ground I go for the diff/x-member.... I don't like the idea of jacking the car up at the radiator support.... seems like those spot welds could possibly pop apart.
      Last edited by marcinko; 12-16-2010, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I have to jack the car up via the rad support with a smaller jack, then I throw the low profile jack under the front cross member to jack the car up all the way.

For the rear I use the diff.
        http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by marcinko View Post
          ^I purchased one of those ebay ladder bars a while back for my s14. It was a piece of junk.... When standing it up I could easily get it to bend by pressing down on it with some weight. The mounting holes were also off. I think I ended up giving it away.
          The ones I have aren't terribly bad, but I remember them not fitting 100%...I was just gonna weld them to make them fit haha.
          'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
          [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
          [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Well if you were going to weld them in, you might as well just pick up some better metal tubing from your choice of raw metal retailer, then make your own brace lol

Some of this:
            http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...50&top_cat=197

And some 1/8" steel plates, boom, cheap braces and they will ALL FIT!!

Comment

I wouldn't bother with 4130. lot of extra money for no extra strength over ERW at 1/4 the price, considering you're welding something with a shload of strength to some 15 yr old spot-welded sheet metal.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

ERW is ghetto - DOM is far superior in overall mechanical properties.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

sure.. until you consider the substrate you're welding to is significantly weaker and having the additional strength of DOM or 4130 is a moot point.
                  complete 4130 roll cage with normalized welds, yes. tiny chassis braces that will jsut rip out the mounting tabs on the chassis when it flexes anyway, no. :wall:
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Well I only said 4130 because it's supposed to be a tad bit lighter than DOM, otherwise, DOM braces would be like $10 in material lol

But you don't have to make tiny mounting plates. Make huge ones, especially the ones that go in between the frame rails underneath, by the trans.

In any case, if anything, I plan on foaming the chassis anyway.

Comment

Haha, well this thread really took off!

I ended up having my fabricator / welder friend weld in some reinforcements and make boxed in mini jacking blocks.

It works really well now, and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I'll take some pics so you guys can see how it looks.
                      1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                      1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                      2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

I want Koguchi-style underbraces/jacking points. My pinch welds are all messed up where my front fender mounts, and I can't fit a jack underneath my frame rails without rolling the car up on a stack of 2 2x4's. Cardinal sin I know.
                        Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

Originally posted by SoSideways View Post
                          Well I only said 4130 because it's supposed to be a tad bit lighter than DOM, otherwise, DOM braces would be like $10 in material lol

But you don't have to make tiny mounting plates. Make huge ones, especially the ones that go in between the frame rails underneath, by the trans.

In any case, if anything, I plan on foaming the chassis anyway.
                          lighter only by means of being able to use thinner-walled tubing for the same strength as DOM. when you're looking at 1" x .120" 4130, it's no lighter than 1" x .120" DOM.
                          All steels have the same density for all practical purposes. you just use thinner stuff when you go to 4130, but it loses strength if the welds aren't annealed so there's no benefit in using it on a car where you can't anneal it properly.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Off topic

I found pcis of my 'ladder bars' if anyone wants to see them. Dubeloz or whatever the egay brand was. I forget how I got these...I think their 'subframe cross brace' thing didn't fit and I had to reweld them...they sent me these as a 'sorry/thank you'

'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                            [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                            [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Those mount lengthwise?

And they're sturdy enough to jack up the car by?
                              1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
                              1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
                              2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Yup. I have a set on my old Maxima and used them to jack the car up for years.

MAJOR chassis stiffness increase. not sure if it resulted in seconds off the clock, but it defininitely helped in driving confidence, which ultimately resulted in more speed.
                                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                                X