X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo_S14
    started a topic Air Bag Question

Air Bag Question

Not overly familiar with the air bag system in the S14.
    If I have an aftermarket wheel without airbag, is the passenger side still functional?

Does the drivers side clip plug into the previous oem wheel, or somewhere that still exists on the column?

Thanks guys.

• Matt93SE
    replied
    Yeah, well when the rest of the dash looks like this underneath....

Leave a comment:

• Solo_S14
    replied
    Hardcore...lol

Leave a comment:

• Matt93SE
    replied
    Yeah.. the cover is a steel plate with about 14 little screws holding it to another steel plate. all of that screws to the dash (and maybe airbag- I forget now) and is covered in padded vinyl.

It was about 2-3lbs total when I pulled it off. the alu is about 2-3 ounces.

Leave a comment:

• Solo_S14
    replied
    Sexy!
    What makes up all the weight? Is there a steel insert or something?

Leave a comment:

• Matt93SE
    replied
    Originally posted by Solo_S14 View Post
    Why would I have a hole in my dash?
    The air bag doesn't support the dash itself.

Good place for my ECU.
    I forgot about that. I took the cover plate out of my car when I was doing the dash cause it weights about 11,000,000 lbs. replaced with alu sheet.

Leave a comment:

• CodyAce
    replied
    Originally posted by gawdzilla View Post
    thanks for the pic. i always thought the system was disabled if the light was flashing too. just from what i've read on the interwebz.. haven't been lucky enough to experience it first hand
    Yup, we all felt the same way. We were bombing around the woods with a b13 and all of a sudden we nosed the thing into an embankment and the bag blew off in my face. I was wearing a dirtbike helmet but still couldnt' breath from all of the dust that came out...talk about crappy!

Leave a comment:

• e1_griego
    replied
    Alright well fair enough then. I have the blinky light in my miata, time to pull all the airbag modules

Leave a comment:

• gawdzilla
    replied
    thanks for the pic. i always thought the system was disabled if the light was flashing too. just from what i've read on the interwebz.. haven't been lucky enough to experience it first hand

Leave a comment:

• CodyAce
    replied
    Trust me when I say, an airbag lamp on doesn't mean the passenger side won't go off hehe. I ate a faceful with one of our field car Sentra's. Woops!

Leave a comment:

• e1_griego
    replied
    I thought if the airbag light was flashing the whole system was disabled?

Guess not.

Leave a comment:

• Solo_S14
    replied
    The dash comes out with that cover attached.
    The bag is connected to the steel dash bar.

Leave a comment:

• gawdzilla
    replied
    i read some stories about multimeter providing enough current to blow a bag.. not sure if it's real or not. submit to mythbusters?

when you remove the passenger bag, what happens to that big lid on top of the dash? is that part of the bag itself or a separable cover? i wouldn't mind removing the pass bag if it doesn't leave a gaping hole in the dash

Leave a comment:

• Solo_S14
    replied
    Why would I have a hole in my dash?
    The air bag doesn't support the dash itself.

Good place for my ECU.

Leave a comment:

• Matt93SE
    replied
    screw that. save the weight. that sumbitch is heavy!!

only caveat is that you then have a huge hole in your dash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X