Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z32 uprights and roll center correction

Hey all, new here and I got a question. Car in question is S13

How does one go about correcting roll center with Z32 uprights? I had planned to have my stock s13 knuckles modified locally, but it seems for the Koni setup (8611) I will require Z32 uprights. Now I could go the ground control kit and have 8611 up front and the 8610 (I think, i might have mixed this up with the "sport") that bolts right. Now ive read this is a very capable setup but personally rather 4 of the same dampers all around plus I only want to do this one.
    Any help, links to more information I can read up is appreciated. Just to throw in, the other options is going KW Club sports but for the price I i think the Koni is the better setup overall.
    Thanks!

Modifying the rear knuckle to accommodate the Z32 upright won't change the roll-center. Changing ride-height affects roll-center, but for roll-center correction you'd need to do the long-shank ball-joint trick or use drop knuckles. It's been a while since I had an S13, but the 8610/8611 are both inserts, so you'll need to put either one in some type of housing to use them. I looked at the Ground Control Kit for the S13 and the rear shock looks like a "KoniSport" single adjustable that's made to fit the S13. You can put the fronts (8611) inside the gutted OEM struts, but the OEM rear shocks are just shocks, so you can't gut them and put the 8611's inside. You'll need a housing to put the insert in that can be fastened to the rear knuckle.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

I'm aware of the inserts. 8611 will not fit in stock front dampers. I just found out the reason I think I needed the z32 was veilsides housing only came on z32 configuration. I'm not sure if there was a reason for this.
      As for the roll center correction, stock uprights can be welded up to become drop knuckles, I have not seen this been done to aluminum z32...I'm guessing because it isn't the easiest to weld aluminium? I was under the impression long shank ball joints don't actually work...
      Regardless I will be getting modified s13 uprights ("drop knuckles")
      Thanks

Comment

Many years ago user Logr modified his rear z32 spindles to move the hub up, which required welding and milling. That's the most modification I've seen two a z32 spindle outside of some grinding and whatnot. There might be some old pics on here of what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
          Many years ago user Logr modified his rear z32 spindles to move the hub up, which required welding and milling. That's the most modification I've seen two a z32 spindle outside of some grinding and whatnot. There might be some old pics on here of what he did.
          I figured someone has done. My issue i have no one local to do. I thought there owuld be more info on it here... Also they are expensive and hard to find let alone the e brake setup is even more harder to find (backing plates that are not rusted to **** or cost way too much)

Comment

You can space down the RLCA, which will also affect camber and tie curves. But it will affect roll center height.

Roll center height isnt a Huge problem on our cars in the rear. It drops very slowly compared to the strut front suspension.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

If you've got some Veilside rear housings, they're made of carbon steel. If you don't want to deal with the Z32 lower mount, cut it off and weld something on that will work with the S13/S14 lower shock mount system.
              Don Johnson (really!)
              Just so you know.

Comment

That's an option. I'm still trying to put all the info I've found together. I think I need more reading. I have read in the past that roll center for the rear of s13 isn't that big of an issue. I also have read those roll center ball joints aren't really the right fix. Costs of things are also a factor. I'll keep reading. Thanks for the replies tho!

Comment

Working...
                X