S14 subframe swap questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 subframe swap questions

I have a 1990 240sx that I autocross and do lapping with. To have more rear end grip I want to swap the rear subframe to an S14 one but I have a couple of questions.

I know I need an S14 diff cover and some offset bushings. I believe I can reuse the S13 swaybar/endlinks. What I'm not sure of is about the LCAs. I know the bushings are 5mm wider on the S14. But some people say that the LCAs themselves are actually 10mm longer while others say they are the same.

-Which is it? Are they actually 10mm longer?

-If they are indeed 10mm longer, should I run them? Even while running stock shorter S13 track in the front?

-If they are not 10mm longer, is running spacers/washers on S13 LCAs sufficient/adequate?

-Are all other arms the same, bushing/length wise?

The only difference in the LCA's is the width of the bushings. I ran an S14 rear subframe on my 90 model with S13 LCA's and washers for spacers, then later swapped to S14 LCA's. The toe arm bushings are different as well, but I think the others are the same. The extra 10mm in track is all in the subframe. You can use offset subframe bushings, or do like I did and just lube up the OEM bushings and shove it on! I added poly lock rings because they would distort to fit.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

My preference was to buy s14 lcas since they were <$100 used.

The toe arms are the same length but the width of the mounting point is bigger on the s14 subframe so you can either use longer bolts and washers, or you can buy s14 spacer/bushings to take up the extra slack (spl used to sell them separately -- depends on what brand you're using).

Comment

The S13 sway bar doesn't work on the s14 subframe. I tried mounting mine onto the s14 subframe when i swapped and found the mounting points for the brackets are wider than the s13. The s13 bar has a bend in it that doesn't allow it to slide over far enough for the endlinks to bolt on even though you can mount the bar to the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Scores240 View Post
          The S13 sway bar doesn't work on the s14 subframe. I tried mounting mine onto the s14 subframe when i swapped and found the mounting points for the brackets are wider than the s13. The s13 bar has a bend in it that doesn't allow it to slide over far enough for the endlinks to bolt on even though you can mount the bar to the subframe.
          I never noticed that, since I was running an S15 Helical without a rear sway bar..., ;-)
          Don Johnson (really!)
          Just so you know.

Comment

Thank you. Would running S13 front LCA with 10mm wider rear track be detrimental enough in autocross to justify going S14 fronts as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Scores240 View Post
              I had no issues using my stock s13 sway bar. I do remember having to slide the bushings and brackets around a bit though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X