No announcement yet.

HOW TO: Ultimate budget front LCAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stock arm does extend out further(probably for strength since it's just ~1/8" stamped mild steel), so maybe it is tighter than these arms.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

That makes sense.

Oh ya... the godspeed FLCAs they are advertised as s13, s14, s15 err... aren't s13 =/= s14/s15? Just wondering... The s14/s15 knuckle is diff than the s13 knuckle right.

The way they are stock:

They are basically IKEYA formula knock offs right?
      Last edited by a_ahmed; 11-23-2009, 07:48 AM.
      "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
        That makes sense.

Oh ya... the godspeed FLCAs they are advertised as s13, s14, s15 err... aren't s13 =/= s14/s15? Just wondering... The s14/s15 knuckle is diff than the s13 knuckle right.
        Yea, I've seen that, and I've also seen them advertised as S13 and S14 separately. Not sure if they make two different shank angles or whatnot. I actually never even checked the Godspeed shank on the spindle premodding, as I was pretty sure I wanted more adjustment than you can get with the shank that comes with them.

They are basically IKEYA formula knock offs right?
        Yes.

Comment

I also choose not to use the steering stops. Figure I'm not banging from lock to lock on my steering rack often.

Comment

Then you aint driftin enough son.
            ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Great write-up Def.

Did you find that you had to add more spacers to your tie-rod setup? If you do, and you’re out of adjustment on the shank, would it be reasonable to take the same approach there (drill out the taper and use a bolt)? From what I remember, there isn't a lot of material out on the tie-rod pickup.

Comment

I don't know if you missed this question or not, but it sort of has to do with V1A's question as well...

What would you use for spacers between the bottom of the spindle and the top of the bearing, once you run out of spacers that came with the kit?

Stack some 3/4" washers on top of the spacers?
                http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

^ Def listed a MMC part number for shimming washers if additional adjustment is needed.

MMC p/n: 94773A780
                  Last edited by V1A; 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added p/n

Comment

Originally posted by V1A View Post
                    Great write-up Def.

Did you find that you had to add more spacers to your tie-rod setup? If you do, and you’re out of adjustment on the shank, would it be reasonable to take the same approach there (drill out the taper and use a bolt)? From what I remember, there isn't a lot of material out on the tie-rod pickup.
                    I ended up going with SPL tie rod ends. I almost made my own and used a bolt, but at the end of the day I felt like making at least a little part of this project easier on myself.

I'm using all their adjustment shims, and things look pretty good angle wise for even a bit more spacing between the spindle and bearing. I'm sure if you really needed just a hair more you could probably get a hair more adjustment out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by V1A View Post
                      ^ Def listed a MMC part number for shimming washers if additional adjustment is needed.

MMC p/n: 94773A780
                      I just went back and re-read it, and it looks like he used that part underneath to space the bolt's head down.

For the top, might have to stack like $20 worth of washers lol
                      http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SoSideways View Post
                        I just went back and re-read it, and it looks like he used that part underneath to space the bolt's head down.

For the top, might have to stack like $20 worth of washers lol
                        I actually cut a piece of 1" OD DOM tubing and faced each side in my lathe. The washers I linked to are about 0.060" thick, so to get the same spacing as I used you'd need about 7 above the bearing and about 4 below the bearing. So figure you'd want 3 packs of 10 just to have plenty of adjustment in addition to the Godspeed spacer.

Comment

...another thing to spend money on over winter. thanks
                          'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                          [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                          [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Meh not me (surprise)... just wish list :P... for now.

How about some quantified and qualified driving experiences on this new changed setup
                            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

I also took off my front sway bar at the same time and haven't put it back on since I'm still messing around with the S14 front bar(probably won't work since it hits my GReddy oil pan with just slight travel up).

Overall the roll without a front sway feels about the same as it did before, and it seems like the car transitions even quicker up front. From the seat of the pants feel, I'd say it feels worth it.

Comment

That's pretty impressive that it feels the same without swaybar as it did with swaybar but roll center adjusted.

Put the swaybar on and see how it goes.

Definitely worthwhile work you've done two thumbs up.

Comment

Working...
                                X